user profile
Sign in
user profile

Best practices to remain compliant with Amazon’s product quality policies

by News_Amazon

Seller University recently released interactive, self-serve training modules to help you remain compliant with Amazon's product quality policies related to expired, defective, and “used sold as news” products.

For more information, go to:

“Used sold as new” product compliance

Expired products compliance

Defective products compliance

Wrong item sent product compliance

Tags: News and Announcements
25 replies
25 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_ysBVdcPSLXZdx
In reply to: News_Amazon's post

I watched the video and read the product compliance page. There are two major issues that I see and hope that Amazon addresses:

1. For FBA orders: When a customer returns a product we should have the ability to have all product returns sent to us. It’s not enough that an Amazon associate looks at the product to determine whether it is sellable or not. For example, most of my products have 24 components (12 of each like kind). I cannot guarantee that the customer returned all components and an Amazon associate may not realize that something is gone. If this goes back in “sellable” condition, the next customer will return it as defective and my account health is effected.

It’s unrealistic to hold sellers liable in these cases.

1. For FBA and merchant fulfilled: Many customers will mark a return as defective or doesn’t match listing to avoid paying return shipping costs, even if it is inaccurate reason. Some customers will put in a note that they ordered the wrong size or it didn’t meet their needs, showing that the reason was incorrect. If the reason is incorrect and they are just avoiding return shipping costs, it still will go against my account.

It’s unrealistic to have a seller responsible in those cases.

I fully accept that if it is our fault something went wrong, then we should be responsible. But if the Amazon system simply allows these issues to not be addressed, there is a bigger problem. I encourage Amazon to work on a solution to those issues.

Thanks

user profile
Seller_MMrWdIBTOJB0l

I totally disagree with this in general. This recently happened to my listing and amazon is being ignorant with my invoice. I’ve appealed 3 times, and guess what the answer is…
It’s that simple for competitors coming in and making false complaints on your listing, but difficult to work with Amazon and well know that. Hit a like if you agree.
Here’s another one, a IP complaint from this email , brandsprotectionauthority@gmail.com)

user profile
Seller_sTqVIzPhieBTj

How do these modules help with Amazon warehouse workers marking items as sellable, even in cases where the return comments say things like “Used this product and did not like it”?

user profile
Seller_QdwkkULZJEzFl

Amazon’s “defective” compliance policy only makes sense in a bubble, in a perfect world where everyone loves a perfect product.
Nothing is liked 100% of the time, a quick read on any product listed on Amazon tells me this: A four-star product really means it’s liked 80% of the time. It means there is a good chance it will work for me. There is nothing the manufacturer can do about the missing star.
People having a bad day will throw a seller under the bus, expletives included.
The focus should be on helping a seller make it right to the customer, quick refunds, free replacements, etc. in a prompt manner. Instead of making sellers the bad guys.
Amazon is great because of Amazon sellers, otherwise, it would just be another Macy’s.

user profile
Seller_1UjgrsBO52hr3

Most customer’s definition of “defective” means it does not meet their expectations, no matter how unreasonable those expectations are or whether or not they actually read the listing before purchasing. They just don’t want to pay return shipping or take any kind of responsibility for their part in the error they made.

Other products are subject to the whims of personal preference, like the scented products I sell. People play “test all the fragrances” - so they are returning the same “defective” product in different scents over and over. Really? It is so defective you have to order it 5 times?

For my low priced products, I pay cash out of pocket on every so-called “defective” return. I have distributed this cost across my pricing strategy, but that strategy relies on a certain sales volume. So now not only am I going to be financially impacted on individual sales, but my seller rating will be impacted?

Sure, that seems fair.

user profile
Seller_B9cQnbg2oZzCm

How Amazon tries to enforce expired products compliance when they don’t first in and out is beyond me. Additionally we continually get “expired” inventory sent back to us with more than a year left on the expiration date. This whole process needs to be handled better imo.

user profile
Seller_6XSiPqg4VTwhh

Agree. I would hope that chronic returners and people with multiple buyer accounts are tracked. Too often, I get multiple orders from ‘different’ buyers going different places. Inevitably, a week later, I will get the same email regarding the same complaint on each item. All seem to lead to a free product. Returns never happen.
Scams are out there because once someone gets away with it, they will continue.

user profile
Seller_uKYUQR1wT7FSF

Buyer ordered a book, received a newspaper…

Of course, I get a lot of “used, sold as used” as the buyer can’t be troubled to read that part that says “used - very good” or even see the “used” I added to my seller name to make it a little clearer…

user profile
Seller_CW0P5hgbsiqWX

Poorly constructed. Video starts off saying there are 2 reasons for defective returns.

1. An actual defective in the products construction.
    Well, a defective product is a defective product, and when it is returned for inspection, it should be defective.
  2. Does not meet buyer’s expectations.
    Totally not addressed in the video. Another Amazon cover up to blame sellers for selling a NON-Defective New Product, that the buyer wants to return used and get a full refund. There is no defect in the product. Buyer no longer wants the item and should be returned as No Longer Wanted or Needed.

Shame on Amazon for making another attempt to hide buyer return scams under the guise of a non-defective products being returned as defective. Probably a good example of the Peter Principle at it best.

user profile
Seller_AzQWWiLSSAUWj

We need to be able to have the option to pull all of our returned product if we choose to!
Too many “used sold as new” claims which arise (We have to take fault which is not fair, when it was not our fault) even products that came w/ no seal, we placed seals on items to prevent this from
happening.
All items are sent to Amazon “New and Sealed”.
We would never sell a used beauty product.
Items returned are mistakenly put back into “new and sealed” inventory when they are NOT “new and sealed”, because the buyer opened the item breaking the seal to determine wether they wanted to keep the said item.
Therefore, the items are used and should be considered “unsellable” and Sellers should be allowed to pull their items.
Instead they are putting them
back into “new and sealed” inventory then the next buyer purchases.
Only to discover its not “new and sealed” but guess who gets the fault?
Us Sellers when we did nothing to create this issue.
It would make more sense to allow us to get all our returns back if we choose to so we can determine if they are deemed “sellable”.
For example any non delivery because address issues, yes those can go back into “sellable”, because they were not delivered to the buyer and not given a chance to be made “unsellable”. Thank You!

Go to original post