Barcode scanner for books

Brodart library supplies sells the software and scanners for books that you are looking for. If you stock 1000’s of books, it’s worth having.

We have had a retail book store since 1971, and see those people with scanners all over the place. the only problem as we see it is, the information they obtain on the scanner, is already in our heads. They are looking for that one good seller. But, ask them if they are living on the income from the scanner. I doubt if they are. It seems like they are looking for a get rich scheme. To make a good living off of books, you need 1000’s of titles, and more than one of each. Like the others have said on this topic, buy in bulk.

The program we use in our store (brick and mortar) is Neatoscan, which we use to list our on line selections as well as determine what pricing we use in store. I purchased Neato’s small attachment bar code scanner to use with my iphone, and am using their downloaded phone app. This program keeps all of my books in one place, and gives me consistent pricing on all fronts. That being said, there are other programs and small scanners that attach to your phone or as mentioned, a free app you can download to achieve what you’re looking for. The free download works with your camera to scan the bar code while giving you basic pricing of a product. It’s not complicated, but there is differing information depending on the program you use, which is why I like Neatoscan, but there is a monthly service charge for this program. When I first started out, I used the free apps to get my feet wet, and depending on how that progresses for you, you can decide later whether to use a higher end program to fit your needs. I hope this helps.

I use a dell axim x51v or an ipaq 2495. They work for dvds and cds and other bar codes too. I also use my smart phone to make sure the scanner was correct.

I’ve heard ScoutPal is the best.

I don’t use one myself, but they certainly can be useful for pricing and buying books that may be outside your area(s) of expertise.

I use my eye to spot the collectable and just do research from phone, Scout Pal but even they have things that you miss, I also use phone. I have been selling books for 20 years 6 on Amazon . They all have there place don’t let anyone make you feel less than you are. find your niche , a type of book you are passionate about learn what you would spend money on. Buy those list those sell those. You may be big into poetry, or old books I bought at a thrift store one day for a quarter a first edition book from 200+ years ago it was in Acceptable condition for what it was and sold it for $1500.00 but it took a few months I new that type of antique book and I even new someone in another country that collected these. I got lucky. so will you just find a area and learn as much as you can.

Beg to differ. I shop a local Samaritan thrift store regularly. Every local book distributor dumps their pulled stock at local thrift stores in this area. I hit them every week and scoop up a ton of books. Every time I’ve looked at bulk buys, I find a pallet of old musty books with 5 or 6 good ones salted in on top, and 600 ready for the dumpster. Library book sales, Church rummage sales, and small out of the way thrift stores are great.

Keep doing whatever is best for you.

I’ve ran into people selling in bulk who have gone through and taken out all the good ones too. Of course people do that, so anyone that buys in bulk shouldn’t buy blindly. Most of what I buy in bulk now is brand new or collections. I always know what things are worth before I buy anything. Just because I buy in bulk doesn’t mean I buy blindly.

closed #28