<b>Free Shipping Required for Shoes, Handbags and Sunglasses Category</b>

"Free Shipping Required for Shoes, Handbags and Sunglasses Category Starting May 24, 2016
Mar 29, 2016
To help provide customers with the best possible buying experience, Amazon is implementing a new shipping policy in the Shoes, Handbags & Sunglasses category.

Starting May 24, 2016, a free shipping option will be required for all listings in this category with an item price of $49 or more.

This free shipping requirement will apply to all products properly listed in the Shoes, Handbags & Sunglasses category, including shoes-laces, shoe-horns, and all other shoe accessories. Please update your listings prior to help ensure that your listings remain active and buyable.

For more information, see the Shoes, Handbags & Sunglasses selling requirements page."

Glad I’m 100% FBA in that cat.

FBA will now be cheaper than a seller charging for shipping

that’s probably coming. when it does, just double the freight charge that you build into your price.

We offer everything with free shipping (not free returns) and our pricing is created by a script which uses a formula, which takes into account several factors, including our cost and cost of shipping. it could easily be modified to accommodate free returns. In fact, I would have already done it if I thought it would boost sales. I feel that it would not, in our category (not shoes, handbags, or sunglasses)

Same answer as always: because they can.

Yeah.

All you need to do is reset your international rates to incorporate the adjustment you made to prices for free domestic shipping and deduct that from the international rates you currently charge.

Glad I do not sell in that category, but I betcha a lot of pricing will be going up to cover that added cost…

Most of my business is in this category.
Why are they doing this.
-MOE

How can a seller cover International shipping comparable to domestic? And shipping handbags gets pretty expensive. Forcing free shipping? Well, that’s a new level for Amazon. Speechless.

Ok rather than ranting how can we go about this to not affect our business financially.
Raising the price $10 on each shoe and offering free shipping?
Any ideas people.
Are they required free returns as well?
-MOE

Its kind of hard when you have employees.

I don’t sell in any of those categories, but forcing free shipping on the seller doesn’t sound that kosher.

Do they happen to be categories with a high rate or returns?

Just switch to FBA

If I had to guess, it would be that Amazon is following the lead from most major online clothing/accessories retailers that now offer “free shipping” on almost all orders over $25 or so.
It’s a competitive selling strategy that Amazon wants to stay current with. I don’t sell in that category but that’s my best guess.
It’s really a shell game though, just raise prices to cover shipping and then offer “free shipping” to attract customers.

Economy shipping has a relatively long delivery estimate, so some buyers will pick the faster speed just because.

It allows for some flexibility in offering shipping choices. You can add the lowest priced shipping method into the default price, and then add the difference into the more expensive methods.

I am just playing around with edit right now to see what has changed if anything. The policy is rather shocking to say the least. I don’t know if they are going to start on other categories as well. I just saw the post of the main forum. We didn’t get a notification in the category either.

You don’t get “economy” International and I am not sure if you can get it domestically over a certain weight, dimensions.

Still trying to process this. Is the option for any shipping going to be removed automatically once price is listed?

Thats what they are making it seem like?
Or maybe we are over reacting.

I don’t know. This is the first I hear of any platform forcing free shipping on 3rd party. I am not sure what to make of this.

Wouldn’t every buyer just choose the free shipping option or is there a catch?