ASINs violating Amazon title guidelines to be suppressed from search

And don’t forget, spaces count as characters too. In some of my listings just the name of the manufacturer alone is 28 characters. Giving me a whopping 12 characters to work with.

Sometimes I have to wonder if anyone at Amazon gives any thought to how changes like this can effect sellers. Oops, sorry, of course they don’t.

Really, what do they want my titles to say… “Food, 2lbs”?

There is no mention of a category specific to books in the notice and many titles are more than 50 words (especially older books with relevant subtitles).
All of the following may differ from the publication title (are we saying the publisher’s title is wrong?)

_Capitalize the first letter of each word._Non English language books frequently differ in capitalization
Do not use ALL CAPS. (4 books on my desk ready to list that use all caps)
Conjunctions (and, or, for) and articles (the, a, an) should not be capitalized.
Don’t capitalize prepositions with fewer than five letters (in, on, over, with).
Numbers and symbols:
Use numerals (2 instead of two) (Tale of 2 Cities?)
Spell out measurements ( 6 inches not 6" )
Don’t use symbols, such as ~ ! * $ ?

Shouldn’t there be millions of people going berserk asking questions or complaining in this thread right now? This is really a huge thing to deal with… What about people with 60,000 listings that have to shorten product titles? As of right now only just under 200 people… or has no one else gotten the memo?

Yes

Got this gem back from support.

Hello from Amazon selling partner support,

Thank you for contacting us.

I understand your query that is regarding the character limit of title.

I am sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.

However, please understand that Amazon has a huge catalog of products from around the world. Consumers rely an Amazon’s site search to find those products. But it doesn’t mean they will find the best products. Your product may have the best quality, but your competitors will generate more sales if they appear higher in the listing of similar items.

Amazon allows 50 characters in most product titles. Some categories, however, allow up to 200 characters. In its search results, Amazon shows roughly 50 characters in title tags. Thus Amazon’s 50-character limit is enough to ensure a good title, using keywords strategically.

So, I suggest you to have The more detail you add in the title area, using critical keywords, the higher the chances of your product being viewed by potential customers.

Not sure what the last sentence is supposed to convey.

Hello Sellers,

Your business is important to us. We want to make sure that your business and the buying customer experience is not compromised by products whose titles do not meet Amazon’s product title requirements. In general, these are titles with one or more of the following characteristics:

1. Title containing promotional keywords and phrases (for example, free shipping, 100% quality guaranteed, etc.)
  2. Title containing non-readable characters including emojis.
  3. Title exceeding more than 200 characters.
  4. Title not containing any product identifying information (no product type name and no product characteristics – for example, a single word title such as N/A)

When an ASIN is suppressed for any of the above reasons, you will be notified through the Manage Your Inventory screen in Seller Central, with the specific reason the ASIN was search suppressed. Once the issue is fixed on the title, we will remove the search suppression and the ASIN will appear back on Amazon Search.

We understand your concerns and thank you for participating in this discussion.

Susan H.

Re: This thread: ASINs violating Amazon title guidelines to be suppressed from search
Title Character Limits Unknowns With July 22 Suppression Coming Up
Little to no sales
New News? Amazon to Allow 2000 Character Product Titles
ASINs violating Amazon title guidelines to be suppressed from search
New Title guidelines - brandnames with &

This is great info and makes this a highly desirable change.

Thanks very much for the clarification Susan …this is quite different than the original announcement.

Good job,

GeffPesos

Thanks so much @SEAmod ! May I just ask… is this for all categories and all selling formats? If so, yayyyyyyyyy!
Does this mean yesterday’s announcement is permanently modified? As I type this I can hear my husband on the phone with Seller Support who is still telling him 50 characters… sigh

point 5 is the big one

I know from experience what a time consuming headache it can be to get changes made to a title through Amazon support.

The changes I have made in the past have been for listings that were controlled by Amazon retail

Shouldn’t Amazon correct these themselves proactively now before this policy is enforced?

Thanks for the additional info @SEAmod. Will the title guidelines be changed to reflect what you wrote (e.g. not to exceed 200 characters vs. the previously announced 50 character limit)?

I ran into this today trying to get " changed to Inch and was told the Retail Team would have to verify the changes on the manufacturer website.

Everybody is focused on the 50 characters rule…but what about not including the brand name?Won’t Hasbro or Marvel be the primary reason a product gets suppressed?

Hi SEAmod,
I am very concerned by the new rule changes… We sell beauty cosmetics, not private label but MLM product line… i.e Mary Kay, Avon, L’bel,Bath and Body Works. etc…
I read this…“Your merchant name for Brand or Manufacturer information should not be included, unless your product is Private Label”
Does this mean that Amazon will no longer allow us to carry them or will suppress those types of products due to their Brand name being put in the title for search purposes?

You are not allowed to put your Amazon merchant name in the title, unless it is your private label product. Brand names such as Hasbro or Marvel are allowed as they are not your merchant name.

Let me entertain you – a toy figure of the Street Fighter E.Honda was banned. The reason? Honda is considered an “automobile” brand and the figure’s manufacturer is not authorized to make product for the Honda brand. After proving that the manufacturer is licensed to sell Street Fighter products, I was told that the proof was not valid, because the brand “Street Fighter” is not the brand “Honda” the car maker. At the end, I changed the name of the figure to:

Honddddddda (the name that cannot be used on Amazon)

And they approved it.

It state that the ASIN TITLE has to Match on the bar code sticker on the product. Even if we fix the title now,
How about the shipment that is already sent before the 22 July, but can not reach the warehouse after 22 July, are they all become suspended as un-sell-able? How can we change the shipment that already sent?

Our brand name is quite long to spell too… so sad…

that’s 52 man.