user profile
Sign in
user profile

Are the books supposed to look this way?

by Seller_veyH2ggiuKNMc

I got a book from penguin books to resell on amazon. I noticed that the pages look uneven. Is this some kind of new way people like books or is this an error?

Thanks

-Chuck

Tags: Fulfillment center
16 replies
16 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_VPTojhikJPGtl
In reply to: Seller_veyH2ggiuKNMc's post

Your kidding right?

That is a factory defect

user profile
Seller_6OMUOUOVkLhf5

Error. Looks like the slicer blade was a little dull or the book shifted during the process. Return for refund or replacement.

user profile
Seller_RM3VSN1yQFNnu

This is not defect, this is die-cut or “roughed” or roughly “SAWN” or roughly “slit” edge book,
this is done for decorative effect,

user profile
Seller_DCFkzXP9HeKJd

Looks like a deckled edge to me. Google it and look at the images. It’s been around for lots and lots of years (maybe 100’s) and is considered to be an extra - like a sewn in bookmark. Not many paperbacks have them.

user profile
Seller_BwUAAaVSXN56A

It’s generally seen as a feature. It makes the book feel older.

user profile
Seller_awYU0oH8skccg

It could be a “Deckled Edge” which some high end or fancy books have…Its a book binding technique

But from your photo its hard to tell

user profile
Seller_vrNmo5y6cVZ1z

I agree with combinola and others who identify this as a ‘deckle edge.’ In early book manufacturing volumes were issued with uncut and uneven edges. This a modern attempt to reproduce that look. Your image also shows a paperback which folds over at front and back suggestive of a dust jacket (aka: French fold). This is also an attempt at sprucing up an edition. The cost of producing hardcovers has gone up and sales have gone down so publishers, especially outside of US, have gone to volumes with these features instead of hardcover editions.

user profile
Seller_dpdumRLFDFMP6

Typical amazon, nobody needs to know anything about the products they are selling. I mean…

Its called a deckle edge. It mimics the old bookbinding process where pages were laid by hand and thus - uneven.

user profile
Seller_1lf5KDJdsOT3l

extremely common

user profile
Seller_ML3qjYDgyasfx

definitely not deckled. bad production. go for the refund

Go to original post