Anybody heard of "tribal knowledge" and the legality of it

We got the below message after several attempts trying to recuperate cost of our disposed items.
Basically after numerous exchange with all the reps around the world and bunch of gibberish statements, some rep fire up the “It is not guaranteed that every FNSKUs will be in the first notification email” claim so we send in the statement as form of a question and got the following explanation.

1. “It is not guaranteed that every FNSKUs will be in the first notification email”
  • This specific sentence is not a part of our “policies”, however, it also will not change the outcome of this case.
  • A sentence like the one above is what we would call “tribal knowledge.” In other words, the tenured associate that responded to you has seen a pattern from Amazon that the FNSKU may not always be listed in the first notification.

I’m still flabbergasted by the above statements and wondering if it’s within Amazon’s policy to go by “tribal knowledge”

Of course there can be a difference, usually clarification, that differentiates written policies from “tribal knowledge” about how things are done.

VISA’s written policy is that if you are accused of a crime, they can pull your merchant authorization. A speeding ticket is an accusation of a crime. But VISA does not pull merchant authorizations because someone gets a speeding ticket. That’s the “tribal knowledge” part.

bunga bunga!

Maybe I didn’t paint a clear picture as what happened with our case.

The first notification email was never sent out to us prior to the disposal of our units so after we push for the proof of notification, the representative responded with the above “It is not guaranteed that every FNSKUs will be in the first notification email” statement and closed our case, that’s why we asked for the clarification and got the tribal knowledge answer.

Hmmm . . . sorry, I can only address the concept of “tribal” (or as I would prefer to say, “institutional”) knowledge. I don’t know the first thing about FBA disposal notifications and etc. Perhaps someone who does will chime in.

bunga bunga!

We just felt it’s very unbecoming of Amazon representative to use tribal knowledge as a crutch. In most instances Amazon reps are already the judge and the jury, now they’re using “tribal knowledge” to bend the policy, it’s just doesn’t feel right…