user profile
Sign in
user profile

Amazon taking over 33% of every sale? Can we fight this? Is this legal? I know it is their platform but this is ridiculous!

by Seller_Ivs2f9BDKZBYP

I called Seller Support to fix the dimensions of my product as fees are increasing and they have the incorrect dimensions for my product. Calling only made matters worse, they ended up increasing the dimension! I am currently holding my on product in my hand and they are telling me I am wrong and don’t know how to measure? Then they said “We don’t charge by the dimension of your product, we go by similar products in your category. The highest selling product, is the dimensions we go by and charge other sellers with similar products” That is bizarre and unfair! I purposely worked with my manufacture with producing my product with certain specs to save myself from high fees Amazon likes to throw at us.

Anyway, I am asking for help. What can I do now? How can I fix this? Is it okay for amazon to overall take 33% of my profits? This is not even including monthly selling fees, storage fees, and advertisements. Altogether, I am making less than 35% of profit because Amazon taking all of it.

Also, as I am venting already, Every time I encounter an error (mostly due to Amazon not allowing me to make changes from my account or simply Amazon glitching my product page or account) Is it just me or every time you try to solve a problem with Amazon Seller Support, they just seem to make matters worse?

Tags: ASIN, Fees
74 replies
74 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_3N7yVnTXPzLkL
In reply to: Seller_Ivs2f9BDKZBYP's post

You always have the alternative of binding arbitration.

user profile
Seller_VPTojhikJPGtl

First wrong Step… Always open a case online…

user profile
Seller_I9G26IAjAgAzi

Get away from FBA, store and ship the items yourself and save a ton of money.

user profile
Seller_eqcMFBQI0XQs6

Ask for a cubic scan for your product.

user profile
Seller_GfRE38VLNeuyj

Yep.

user profile
Seller_2ZicARQXjdUjO

Only 33%? What am I doing wrong lol

user profile
Seller_d7Z0MKOJalf7S

This is why you never CALL seller support.
You open a case for FBA and ask for a cubic scan of your items.
Then you get the correct team working on your concern.
Then they will actually get one of your items and measure it.
It will take a week or more to have this completed but you will then have EXACT measurements of the items stored at Amazon.
If you are complaining about the weight of the item you need to know that Amazon adds 4 ounces to the items actual weight to make up for packaged shipping weight.

user profile
Seller_c5MaOoC8vQs49

This is normal behavior from Amazon. We caught them doing the same thing on one SKU. For a item that weighted 1.2 lbs they increased the fee from a few cents to $35.00 among 282 orders. The L x W x H was less than 16 inches. If they factor in dimensional weight the item was probably about 2 lbs. Obviously this amount of fluctuation in the fee they were charging is not possible. After proving the weight and dimensions via pictures, in the end they didn’t take responsibility and made it appear as they are doing us a favor by refunding the partial amount of was was incorrectly stolen from us. They didn’t even issue a refund for the full amount that was incorrectly charged to us. So these incorrect fee glitches maybe a way to generate additional revenue for them and if the mistakes are caught, they will partial or fully refund the incorrect fee. If they partially refund you you the difference then they pocket the other half.

user profile
Seller_vALqFPhPz4ico

[ : - /

You can always build a multi billion dollar web behemoth yourself. Then you get to make the rules.

Seriously, for small sellers cost effectiveness and diversification is key. If this is not an adequately profitable venue, find ways to cut cost or say goodbye. It is what it is.

user profile
Seller_FM4TuZBO1GUDh

We have a small and light program whose fee should be $3.25. We send in 24 units and they sell in two days except 4 when we notice suddenly the fee is $10. So we asked to have the one unit measured. THey confirm the fees should be $3.25 and that we will be refunded. IN this message they state "please ignore the fee showing in manage inventory as there is an issue in the system and the item is supposed to be, and will be, $3.25.

I lower my price again to start selling and the remaining 4 sell for $3.25 in fees. So at this point great. We order 80 from the manufacturer. Ship them in. They all sell. I noticed last night now the fees are $15. The item sells for $12.99. So we actually lost hundreds.

I open a case, reference the “please ignore the posted inventory manager fee” from the previous message.

Their response is to send in sample for measurement. Sure, let me just place a pallet order from the vendor for one sample item to be included.

Go to original post