Amazon Listing Optimization vs. Amazon Style Guide

I have a question related to Amazon Listing Optimization and Amazon’s Style Guide. My products (I’m a manufacturer) already exist on Amazon through some of my resellers whom operate and prioritize their brick and mortar store. The listings they’ve created almost look dormant – low quality, outdated images, mis-categorized, poor descriptions and bullet points. I highly doubt any meaningful sales are going through these listings. I want to revamp them and optimize them, however I don’t have Brand Registry yet (trademark still in process). So far I’ve had to use Amazon Seller Support to make each of the listing changes for me, which is am arduous process in itself. I’m coming across a problem with the Product Title, where I’m using an optimized title but it’s deemed against the Amazon Style Guide. Amazon Seller Support are not letting me use any title that doesn’t fit their style guide. Yet, I see so many competitor listings that are search optimized that go against the Amazon Style Guide. How is this possible? Should I just create new UPC codes and start fresh? Ideally I want to use the same UPC codes because part of our strategy is using Amazon’s Multi-Channel Fulfillment and use FBA to ship to retail stores, whom can continue using our manufacturer’s UPC code. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We are new to the Amazon selling platform.

I’d recommend using the upload function where you fill out a spreadsheet with all of the data fields and then upload it. If you are contributing more complete information it is more likely your edits will be accepted than if you are trying to change things one at a time.

There is a concept known as “page control” basically the seller with the higher reputation will have their edits accepted over the brand new seller. But Amazon also likes to have complete information so if you submit larger images and more images they will probably replace the existing ones. Same thing with bullet points. The title might be a harder sell. I’m a reseller for a brand that other seller’s had created listings for years ago. Most were garbage and I’ve been able to get all the bullets updated, new images added, and the correct brand name. I’m only having partial luck on the titles but I’m not trying to use super keyword stuffed titles that are 150 characters long.

Thanks for the reply.

I will try the upload function to see if it makes a difference. The titles I’m using are quite descriptive and not keyword stuffed. I’m actually limited to 50 characters, but I see so many other listings in the same category with 170+ characters. I don’t understand how these listings get approved nor how we can compete on organic search volume.

It’s good of you to try and fix your existing product listings as a reseller. It makes no sense to me how Amazon makes it so difficult in us trying to improve listing quality. It promotes sellers buying UPC codes and re-listing the same product. Which brings me to my next question, what’s stopping you from going the easier, nefarious route of duplicating a listing with a bought UPC code and creating a listing of your own? By tweaking the existing listings, aren’t you helping the other resellers too?

Yes, but it’s obvious most of them are doing retail arbitrage with a few units at a time while I’m buying from the manufacturer a pallet at a time now. I’m winning the buy box 70-100% of the time. My goal is to partner with them and become their preferred or even sole reseller on Amazon.

Since I started selling these products sales have gone up and reviews have gone up (overall rating and # of reviews). If I were to go buy a UPC and make up a duplicate listing where I offer some made up bundle, like a copy of the recipe that’s on the label (grocery brand), then I’d have to start over with reviews, etc.

Once things return somewhat to normal and people are back in the office I intend to go meet with my sales rep in person and pitch the idea of them using brand registry to keep other sellers off the listings. That would also allow for enhanced brand content and being able to update the listings more easily to be more optimized.