Amazon is "Price Fixing" now!?

I believe that most Amazon shoppers will buy another item on Amazon before buying elsewhere. I have no Amazon facts/metrics to back this statement up, but that is how I and my friends and customers shop. When we are out stock of a particular item, the sales on our secondary similar item increase, without a hint of change on other sales channels.

That will of course vary greatly with the category. For commodity type items, I suspect you are correct. For very specific items (a book or CD, or specific brand), then people may have no choice but to go elsewhere.
In truth, I suspect that the lost customers is such a low number that it disappears in the noise of any attempted analysis, but I’m sure that it exists to some degree.

Does Abe books have price alerts? when a book on amazon is forced off does that same listing on Abe get a price alert as well? Last I heard they were owned by Amazon.
And if the answer is No, then it seems strange you would apply one policy to one platform but not to your other platform?

Anytime I hear someone say they are leaving amazon to go someone else (I just shake my head, no), better to tell yourself leave your stuff on all platforms and adjust prices accordingly to the fees you are being charged.

If items get removed from any platform, it should just end up raising the price on the platform that removes the items (LESS SUPPLY) making that platform less attractive to buyers), and the platform that doesn’t remove the items (MORE SUPPLY) will be rewarded with sales (rewarding that platform with more competition lower prices and more sales).

This is clearly the case with DVD sets…
Word will slowly get out; DVD sets on other platforms are generally always cheaper than on amazon due to amazon restricting competition on DVD sets and non prime members probably look elsewhere first.
However for those that pay for Amazon Memberships, I don’t think they understand this, or they don’t mind paying extra for the better service they feel they receive.
It takes people time to realize low prices aren’t always guaranteed.
Amazon was at its peak of success when it had 1 cent books. Now they are making a profit, that for so many years they claimed they were not. Kind of like drug companies claim.
They will be able to ride the coat-tails of this success mindset for many more years, but competition is definitely coming faster than anyone ever thought thanks to covid.
We still have a free market, no one is forced to buy or sell on amazon or any other platform.
Price alerts are more annoying as it adds to the workload, than evil.

I’ve noticed the same thing on many of my listings. Many competitors who have higher prices than mine aren’t getting popped by the bots for pricing errors. No one from seller support can explain it.

This is my problem, too. I have almost all new books. Anytime a page has only a bunch of lesser conditions, the price alerts force me to list at those prices. Since some people say the price alerts work fine, and some say they don’t, I’m wondering if some accounts simply do not handle it correctly. How we for whom it doesn’t work can move into the group for which it does work is the mystery. Since fewer and fewer book pages have new books for sale, I am guessing this problem is effecting many sellers. Because who is willing to sell an expensive, new book for the same price people are selling acceptable and good copies? Moderators, can you look into this?

$0.25 is not worth more than a couple minutes of your time, and is definitely not worth the risk of negative feedback from all the possible scenarios that can happen while in transit.

$0.25 isn’t worth a half of a second of time.

This does not matter. I’ve even talked to customer support about this. I have 450 items now, many items that no other seller has and it doesn’t even matter. Many items that no other store or website has and it still doesn’t matter. 450 actual listings with maybe more than one item on a listing could be more that 1,000 items I now can not sell. The min - max is a joke. Amazon price fixing right now is a joke.

I might agree if one would otherwise be making more than $1,800.00 per hour, as 25 cents per half second is $1,800.00 an hour.

I have had about 20 LP records deactivated for “pricing error”. In one instance there have only been 3 new sealed copies sold in the last year, all of them were mine and they sold at $99.95 but now I can’t get it relisted at any price. I also have the same problem others have mentioned mine is pulled and higher priced ones in lesser condition stay up. On commodities their AI MAY be able to see marketing pricing but one off items, that are OOP, and are collectibles there is no way to determine a market price. Market price is what one seller and one buyer agree is a fair price.

These deactivations seem to have picked up substantially in the 4th quarter, not good timing.