Amazon.com and Canada Post strike, what to do?

That other website already informed Canadian sellers what to do in the event of a Canada Post strike, but I haven’t heard a word from Amazon.com.

If Canada Post does go on strike, do I basically need to shut down my Amazon business or what? How would I go about shutting down my Amazon business temporarily? Do I just set all stock quantities to zero or is there a function to temporarily shut down your Amazon business?

That other website told me to allow sales to continue and they’ll remove any buyer complaints related to the strike, but if I do this on Amazon without their authorization I will surely be suspended.

Thank you

You can set you account on vacation mode.
> That other website told me to allow sales to continue and they’ll remove any buyer complaints related to the strike, but if I do this on Amazon without their authorization I will surely be suspended.
>
> Thank you

Unlike eBay, Amazon will still expect you to deliver products on time even if your courier of choice is on strike. Any feedback of late shipments will not be removed.

We are going to ship everything Xprespost this week and continue to do so until there is a work stoppage. Then, we will ship UPS. If anything is stuck in transit, we will reship by UPS and ask them to return the Canada Post one once it arrives.

If you can’t change couriers, you can put your account on vacation by going to Settings > Account Info > Listing Status > Inactive.

Amazon expects us to continue to run out business as professionals that deliver in the expected delivery window. Personally, I hope they let customers know that they will receive orders as scheduled even during a strike so that sales don’t go down too much.

The chances of a deal being done are slim. The latest offer from Canada Post has been met with negativity from the union. My personal opinion is that it’s 99.9% likely that a deal will NOT be done by the 30th.

Canada Post has said that any strike action by the union will result in a total shutdown, meaning they will lock the union out.

Put your store on vacation now, unless you want to send orders Express to arrive by Thursday.

Edited by: gbayemporium on Jun 28, 2016 12:12 AM

Everything is speculation at this point.

All you can do is prepare for the worst(go on vacation mode, or use another carrier), and hope for the best(maybe they will settle at the 11th hour).

Edited by: amcdc79 on 27-Jun-2016 11:20 PM

Doesn’t Canada go on strike every year or two? I would think that Sellers who deal with Canada know this is coming, LOL. Now would be a great time to start using FBA for Canada and let Amazon’s amazing systems figure it out :slight_smile:

I just turned on vacation mode. Are orders I’m shipping Tuesday that are going to USA likely to have left Canada before the strike or should I cancel/refund them?

Thanks

I’m quite sure I was recently told Amazon didn’t have a vacation mode, is this new?

You can track them with your tracking number. Up to you if you cancel and refund. Remember that those black marks on your metrics can be very damaging regardless of how nice the customer is.

The last job action was in 2011.

You might want to track your recent USA orders to see how long it took them to get scanned in the USA. if you don’t have tracking then your proximity to the sorting hub and its proximity to the border will be the decider.

Personally, I wouldn’t mention any delays. If there is a strike or lockout, at that time would be good to contact them.

I’m going to offer a replacement by another courier and ask them to return the delayed one. I’ll give a small concession when they return the package. If I can’t replace, I’ll offer a full refund upon return and apologize for the delay.

I gave instructions on how to put your account on vacation above. This has always been available on Amazon.

I ship small low value items that ship without tracking so I don’t know how long they’re in Canada for.

With that in mind I’m thinking the best is to ship the few orders I got before setting vacation mode and inform them of the possibility of a very long delay due to the strike and offer to refund them if they want.

Is there anything safer I could do?

Thank you

I set myself on vacation mode today, until the strike is over.

closed #15