Advice on Return of $$$ item

Advice requested:
I usually sell books, and used to be a ProSeller. My return policies are VERY lenient --I pretty much gave refunds no matter what, and I never had an A-to-Z claim. My seller policies were not specific to me…just Amazon’s regular return policies.

This time, I sold a very expensive item – a safety backpack that allows you to rappel out of tall buildings (I know, weird…it was a raffle item). $700. Shipping was about $50. Buyer requests a refund very quickly, saying “No longer needed” as the reason.

I called Amazon to ask my options. They said that I can charge them a re-stocking fee of up to 50%. That, plus the shipping to return it might convince the buyer to keep it?

I emailed the customer twice to see if they actually received the item. They cancelled on the day it was scheduled to arrive, so that is murky. I’m assuming they actually HAVE the item now. Buyer isn’t yet responding.

Should I let this go to A to Z?

I really don’t want to allow this return, and I don’t want to be out the money. It’s a weird item that will probably take awhile to re-sell.

Advice?

Regardless of the price, you must honor your return policy. Also, if the item is returned in the same condition, you can not charge more than a 20% restocking fee.

If it was within 30 days you must authorize return for any reason.

Does anyone know what happens to the Amazon fees when a refund like this is made? We had something similar this week, a $450 item from which Amazon took their usual percentages. So we ended up with about $385.00. So when we click the ‘refund’ button, what happens to those fees? Just lost? This is one of our very few returns, and by far the most costly, so just not sure how it works.

HA ha! Love this. :slight_smile:

Don’t let this go to A2Z, from your wording it sounds like you have not given an RMA to return or authorized the return, the customer is not required to do anything but request. Authorize the return, let the responsibility fall on the customer to return it.

If the customer files an A2Z and you have not provided them a return number you could lose right off the bat.

Below is Amazon restocking fee guidelines. Know that these are guidelines and not written in stone policy. I’m always cautious with restocking fee because it often leads to A-Z. If you decided to charge restocking fee, make sure you communicate the fee and that the customer agrees to it. If they don’t agree, then you must negotiate with them. If you force feed the fee, it will more likely than not lead to a claim.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201726140

If you don’t allow the return and let it go to an AtoZ claim, you may lose both the money and the item.

If you refuse to follow Amazon’s minimum return policies, your account could be in jeopardy.

Don’t believe anything you hear from anyone in regards to what restocking fees (or anything for that matter) you can charge unless you can confirm it in Amazon’s written policy.

In my opinion, the inconvenience of having to re-sell an item doesn’t even come close to potentially losing my money, product, or selling privileges.

Maybe He only used it once and got arrested…?

Give them one ASAP, in Amazons eye’s they will see a customer requesting an RMA and the seller ignoring the request.

> It sounds like Amazon’s verbal is not correct. I can only take 20% restocking, plus the shipping?

Yes, in some cases if the customer never even took possession of the product you could not even do the 20% restock. IF the item is returned damaged or not as sold you may charge up to 50% restock.

> So the procedure is to give authorize the return, with a communication to them about the policy. THEN just wait for them to return it? And they have to pay the return shipping, right? When I get it, I issue a partial refund, yes?

For the return reason they gave, the customer pays for return. Then refund appropriately.

>
> Also…ditto the question above–what happens to the significant Amazon fees?
>

You will be refunded. if I recall its a partial about 80%.

Make sure to set a time limit on the return along with mentioning possible restocking fees. Here is what we send on return requests:

Good morning,
Thank you very much for choosing henryshowbizbooks, please accept this email as your return approval. We are happy to accept your return and will refund your purchase price in accordance with Amazon policy upon safe receipt of your unused product at the address listed below.

Please carefully pack your [item] in the same manner as it was delivered; if you reuse the original packaging, please make sure to remove or cover the original shipping label completely to avoid delivery issues. Please ship with a tracking number and supply us with the tracking number after you have shipped your return. Your return must be postmarked within thirty (30) calendar days and received back to the address below within forty-five (45) calendar days.

To return for a refund, you should mail your product to:
henryshowbizbooks
Attn: Amazon Return
123 Main St.
Anytown, CA USA 12345

Again, we are very sorry that your purchase is no longer needed. We will be on the lookout for your return so that we may provide you with a prompt refund.

Thank you,
henryshowbizbooks

You should be aware that in cases such as this involving policy Seller Support is next to useless. If faced with a suspension or A to Z you cannot claim, “Seller Support told me.” Seller Support, in these cases, seems to be wrong more often than they are right.

Thank you for helping sort this out!

I have not given them an RMA because they haven’t confirmed that they even received it yet. I wanted to communicate the return policy correctly though, so they know what they are getting into.

It sounds like Amazon’s verbal is not correct. I can only take 20% restocking, plus the shipping?

So the procedure is to give authorize the return, with a communication to them about the policy. THEN just wait for them to return it? And they have to pay the return shipping, right? When I get it, I issue a partial refund, yes?

Also…ditto the question above–what happens to the significant Amazon fees?

Again, many thanks for the community here!

Sooooo helplful. Thank you for the wording!

Thank you, and understood. Just did the RMA.
Really appreciate the answers!

You are very welcome, glad I could help :slight_smile:

Hello ,

First thing to do is to authorize the return , once asked for the return label cost , dont put the actual price it cost you for the return as ups or fedex will give you a discount on return label , just put the price that your custumer would be charge to send the item back to you.

Once you receive the item back , do a partial refund of the item including a 20 % restocking fee and deduct the return label cost that you have posted on the return authorization .

You do not need to explain all this to your custumer prior of returning the item as custumer would probably state that the item was damaged or wasn’t as described just to avoid the fees .

You have to be smarter … authorize the return , do the partial refund and if the custumer complain you are backed up by the amazon return policy that allow to charge a restocking fee when a custumer <<change his mind . you need to keep in that if the custumer decide open an a-z claim will win but even remain your performance metric on amazon understand third party seller doesn have much protection over buyers and support protect buyer not good luck>

you need to include a pre-paid label , you cant ask the buy the pay for it

It’s a $700 item protect yourself and send them a return label with insurance and signature confirmation on it - have it returned to you in the way you should have shipped it out.

Well Thank You for creating customers like this with your " My return policies are VERY lenient --I pretty much gave refunds no matter what " !!! I am smiling because NOW you get a customer that you created by giving refunds that I deal with everyday! Now only if every seller like you would get hit with big losses and these returns , then Amazon may actually become a GREAT & TRUSTWORTHY marketplace that we all will enjoy.

BUT… Listen to others and authorize a return , send an unpaid shipping label and tell customer original ACTUAL shipping charge will not be refunded and return shipping will be their responsibility. A restocking fee equal to the original ACTUAL shipping amount will be applied if item is NEW and UNUSED. IF item is USED / Missing Pieces, etc… then a restocking fee up to 20% will apply. Then you will get item and 20%back to resell item and make some profit. 9 out of 10 times they will not return , but in this case they will probably send you something different! Good Luck