Advance notice: Business name and address to be displayed on the seller profile page starting September 1, 2020

Those individuals made a choice. They decided to engage in interstate commerce, without the overhead expenses of an LLC, office space, etc. They reaped the rewards in larger profits, than their competitors who chose to operate differently. Now they want to complain that it is unfair, that they just found out that entities (either person, or company) information must be disclosed to the public. Their is a reason so many other people forked over the money to file an LLC and pay for office and warehouse space.

In my opinion it is like the guy who makes $100,000.00 per year, and always makes a profit even though he can undercut the competition by 15% to 30%, complaining that the IRS says he should have been filing taxes and owes back taxes.

It’s not about the fairness, it just seems to be very intrusive to individual sellers’ privacy. Company address is kinda like a PO Box, it does not expose the owner’s personal name and home address directly.

In fact, for an individual seller, I believe their name and address are already being displayed on their customer invoices generated by Amazon. Furthermore, if buyers really need that info, they could always request Amazon to provide it, as it is mandatory for every seller has that info set in their seller account.

But for all the above, the info is provided in less direct ways which make the whole thing not as intrusive as the upcoming change that Amazon wants to implement.

I have an LLC, etc, but still might have my individual, personal data exposed–or at least more readily available–due to how my state sets up LLCs.

:no_good_woman:‍♀ @The_Sawle_Mill, you have to stop thinking so black and white here. We’ve already established that your state, and my own state, have different expectations from other states related to required and public information for business purposes.

Individual Sellers and Handmakers who want to comply safely and accurately, who are posting here, are not your enemies. I’m not saying they are your friends, either, but the true enemies are those who used black hat/illegal strategies before to game Amazon, and will continue to do so without blinking an eye.

Beyond that, there are many good and innocent reasons that any Seller might not want to advertise to friends, family, coworkers, bosses, neighbors, etc, that they sell on Amazon…or how much they make doing so.

Just…try some peace and patience and grace here…please. :pray::sweat_smile::+1:

…and also rational thought…

because it is absurd to compare committing tax fraud to paying for office space and operational/storage space at the same address at which one resides.

Not everyone has yet had the success of expanding from a “backyard garage” to having multiple plants/warehouses, and it is certainly reasonable for small LLCs and sole props to have a mailing address that is not the home address of the principal owner. Additionally, it is worth noting that FBA facilitates the existence of legitimate business models that don’t necessitate any significant spatial needs beyond one’s home office.

Unless you have definitive answers to the clarification questions that have been asked of Amazon in this thread (e.g., can a seller use a PO Box and a DBA/Display Name as “Business Address”), you do not seem to be adding anything of value at this point.

Asked and answered, Yes and yes. Details such as the rules of your jurisdiction and filing the appropriate documents with your state to provide a legally verifiable association with the Account. Every sellers can’t just rent a PO Box under the name Phantom Seller, DBA, and then enter it into their Seller Profile.

My analogy isn’t absurd, there are always people that cut corners for profit and a competitive edge. Just because some are more legal, ethical, or moral to someone else doesn’t change that there aren’t real consequences (i.e. risks) which could result. I’m not upset that somebody doesn’t bear the additional overhead of registering an LLC, having liability underwriting, leasing/buying office and warehouse space, paying utilities, paying taxes and undercutting me on price. But, what gives them the right to rant and complain that transparency and disclosure prior to the sale is unfair?

Wal Mart requires our address and phone number, so try again…

Some products - maybe. But did you see an address on, say, clothes? Or on other things. Many don’t even have a package. Look at the dollar store, Michael’s, Home Depot, etc. There is no address on the products nor on the shelf

With the exception of certain raw materials, it is there someplace. In accordance with Federal law regarding consumer protections.

Note: Legal entity name can be changed by editing your tax info:
https://sellercentral.amazon.com/sw/AccountInfo/LegalEntity/step/LegalEntity

So if you want to setup a S corp, C corp or LLc, nows the time.

When you get your new EIN - just enter it the tax setup - took 2 minutes.
clicked save & it was accepted.

Hello from Amazon Selling Partner Support,

I understand you would like to know whether updating tax information will change your legal entity name. I will surely provide necessary information.

Yes, it is possible to change your legal name (legal entity) while maintaining the history of your account.

In order to change your legal name you need to take the Tax Interview again. You can enter your tax information in your seller account, using a short interview process that can be accessed from the Settings > Account Info > Legal Entity section.

This will take you to a self-service interview process that will guide you through entering your taxpayer information and validating your W-9 or W-8BEN form. In order to fulfill the IRS requirements as efficiently as possible, answer all questions and enter all information requested during the interview. Once you take this interview, you will be able to change your legal name.

To update your tax information, follow these instructions:

1. Sign in to your selling account and navigate to the “Account Info” section under the “Settings” tab.
  2. Click “Tax Information” > “Edit” and make the necessary changes.
  3. Click “Submit”.

@SEAmod Any news on this? It has been two weeks now. Surely the business team knows by now if we are allowed to use a po box or not.

On the label of the product itself - maybe, but NOT ON THE SHELF. That’s the point.

There are many sellers on Amazon who sell valuable enough products out of their homes. Displaying their private address, Amazon puts these people at risk of bing robbed. This is not a right thing to do. If Amazon only wanted to display the town and state, that’s OK, but a full residential address - this is scary.

I’m not sure what the problem is, if someone wants to find your address its pretty simple nowadays. Every time you mail something you have a return address on the box. Seems pretty standard to get rid of some scammers and counterfeiters.

It’s a matter of privacy and peace of mind. For some people it is important.

When you mail something, no one knows what’s inside, only you and the recipient. But if you sell, say, expensive small items and keep them at your home, and someone decides to steal them from you (and then sell on Amazon or elsewhere), all they need to do is see your address and then get to your house and rob it. This is the point.

I don’t even understand why it is necessary to display the actual address where someone lives. Will it really matter to the buyer if his item comes from 123 Elm Street, Middletown, NC (I just made up the address), or from 321 Main Street, Northington, SC? All they may care is where the product was made, and possibly which state it is being shipped from. Buyers don’t need to know the actual personal HOME address of the seller in order to make a right decision to buy or not to buy.

What is the point? And it isn’t maybe, there are half a dozen picture examples of you being wrong.

How does a seller equate to being the shelf?

The bottom line is that this is Amazon’s sandbox, we are all invited guests who were made to sign a TOS, they make the rules, they can change them at their leisure, and they can boot us for no real reason and we have to live with it. So, either get out of the sandbox or play by the rules.

Hi @SEAmod, could you please also ask the business team whether this change will be coming to Amazon Canada marketplace or not? Thanks in advance.

You could use a PO Box as your return address.

Gen Z here and I’ve decided that I’ll sell my privacy for modern convenience, I don’t really care that much. If someone wants to find me they’ll find me either way. That being said I still wouldn’t want my home address posted somewhere so easily accessible mainly because being forced into face-to-face interaction is one of my biggest fears and I like to avoid it whenever possible.

I disagree (there is a good chance that I’m way out in left field all by myself), but as a customer, I would much prefer to buy from an established company. Than from some one selling stuff out of their garage or basement. I’m not saying that everyone working out of their home is suspect, but playing the numbers game, I think that I am more likely to get better, professional service and genuine, new product from an actual business than some random teenager, or housewife. True, I don’t need to know there actual home address, but I don’t think Amazon is prepared to put a big label next to third-party sellers saying, “Consumer Warning! This is sold by an individual from there home. This is not a legitimate, professional business.”