user profile
Sign in
user profile

Action required for listings on Amazon classified as pesticides

by News_Amazon

Amazon is continuously working to protect our customers and enhance the shopping experience. As part of this effort, we are updating the requirements to offer pesticides and pesticide devices. This will affect some products you offer or have previously offered. Please be aware that, under EPA regulations, products may be considered pesticides or pesticide devices because they make pesticidal claims, as described further below.

Starting on October 6, 2020, new listings of pesticides and pesticide devices will require the Pesticide Marking attribute to be filled in upon listing creation with evidence of an EPA Registration number and/or EPA Establishment number, or a certification that the product is exempt from EPA regulations. Proactively providing the required EPA information to this detail page content will minimize disruption to your product offerings.

For existing listings of pesticides and pesticide devices, you will need to provide this information in the Pesticide Marking attribute by January 11, 2021, or your existing listings may be subject to removal. For detailed instructions for adding the Pesticide Marking attribute to new or existing pesticides listings, along with some answers to frequently asked questions, please visit Edit Compliance ID Attribute – Pesticide Marking.

Additionally, if you have not previously received approval from Amazon to sell pesticides and pesticide devices, you must do so by November 2, 2020 or your offers on these products may be removed. If you haven’t received approval, login to Seller Central to start the application process here.

Pesticidal Claims

You may not be aware you are selling products the EPA considers pesticides or pesticide devices, as it can be hard to identify which products qualify and why. The EPA classifies as pesticides or pesticide devices most products that are marketed to disinfect, repel insects, remove allergens, or prevent bacteria, or that make any other antiviral, antimicrobial, antifungal, antibacterial, or other pesticidal claim. If any of your products have been identified as a pesticide or pesticide device you will have received an email from us with a list of ASINs.

As a reminder, per Amazon policy, all pesticides and pesticide devices must comply with EPA regulations and all applicable state and local laws, including registration and labeling requirements. Amazon also requires you to provide accurate information about your products on the detail page.

For more information, see Amazon’s Pesticides and Pesticide Devices policy. You can also bookmark this article for future reference.

Tags: News and Announcements
136 replies
136 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_EaXxdawRo2l6o
In reply to: News_Amazon's post

Does Amazon realize how many products that have been flagged as pesticide or pesticide devices just wouldn’t be anywhere but here?

Lanolin contained in most woolens is naturally antimicrobial. So many clothing products aren’t able to be listed now or are flagged.

This is the TIP of the iceberg on products that really seem ridiculously flagged by this rule, and are unable to be sold by sellers like me who refuse to jump the fences for this.

user profile
Seller_mZlwS8hcPpVJQ

We sell dietary supplements but a bot flagged one of our products a year ago (approx) as a “pesticide”.

Do we need to manually mark all of our vitamins as “This product is not a pesticide” as the Pesticide Registration Status? Or this is going to cause more problems / confusion?

user profile
Seller_T5Mv3ZCUSh7Zl

This from the new policy is going to cause so many sellers much grief.

Common examples of pesticide devices include:

• Ultraviolet Light Units
  • Sound Generators
  • Insect Traps
  • Ground Vibrators
  • Water Treatment Units
  • Air Treatment Units

Note that, products that make any antimicrobial, antifungal, antibacterial, or other pesticidal claim (for example, products marketed to disinfect, repel insects, remove allergens, or prevent bacteria), may be considered pesticides or pesticide devices under EPA regulations, even if the products would not otherwise be considered pesticides or pesticide devices under the EPA’s definition of a pesticide. For more information, see https://www.epa.gov/pesticides.

Every seller of cheap Chinese UV sanitizers just got the boot. And very concerning is that it maybe considered even if not under EPA’s definition. Thanks to so many Sellers circumventing the rules, and cheating the Amazon Marketplace has just gotten impossible for many sellers. Review your listings now and remove anything that might be questionable before it is too late.

user profile
Seller_w9anO0M8iPFUa

I spent about 2 months this year working to get 5 of my items re-listed after they flagged them for being a pesticide. The aggravation dealing with seller central when 2 out of 3 responses is an automated message that has nothing to do with your problem. Now they just sent me an email about this with those same products mentioned…again.

user profile
Seller_T5Mv3ZCUSh7Zl

There is a drop down menu in the Compliance tab 'Pesticide Certification Number’ and one of the selection choices is “This product is not a pesticide or pesticide device, as defined under the US Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act.”

I think that this is because there were so many products that were in complete violation of FIFRA I mentioned the UV sanitizers, but a lot of fake anti-microbial copper products, and hand sanitizers (even with the additional restrictions). I also am aware that the EPA has sent many of these illegal sellers written notice of violation and they just kept on selling they just changed the ASIN. So in away Sellers really only have themselves to blame for this. But it is unfortunate for the guys that are doing things right and getting caught in the middle of the compliance dragnet.

If only Amazon could implement a system of Seller policing and reporting. But I suppose given how badly IP (Trademark, etc.) is that would not end well.

user profile
Seller_mqqTCwpOeis6X

I sell motorcycle polishes and cleaners. They have been marked as a pesticide. The Amazon Non-Sense continues. We have no one with any knowledge of the powersports industry to even talk to at Amazon.

user profile
Seller_PzFbCByfv17id

The last time we all went through the pesticide fiasco, I had an ASIN that doesn’t even seem to exist anywhere within the Amazon catalog get flagged as needing approval (?). I took the stupid test/class and got approved just so I’d stop getting the notifications.

I just got the email this morning stating that I need to do the learning course again for the same ASIN…which still does not exist, and I cannot find on Amazon. I manufacture my own products and have no idea what the heck is up with this particular ASIN, or how it has been linked to my account, but it looks like I’m about to waste another 20 minutes of my life taking this “course” again

user profile
Seller_uPXKEZAdYjLr8

I am so tired of this.
2 baking products on this list. A candy mold and scoop tool.
They are not pesticides, the ads do not make any claims of being anti anything.
They are properly categorized.
I cannot figure out what is wrong.
One is a best selling item so kind of PO about this one.
I cannot change anything as I am not the original lister.
This is so ridiculous!

user profile
Seller_VkETGBlFaPJE6

I sell my own brand of organic soap. Because several of the ingredients have “anti-microbial or anti-septic properties” I mentioned that as a selling point and was classified as a pesticide. I had to have it shipped back before I knew what flagged the classification because they don’t tell you what the problem is. Type “Dial soap” into the search bar and the first 7 of 8 organic results have anti- microbial or antiseptic or both in the title. We obviously are not all playing by the same rules.

user profile
Seller_Mq8IqXK5E3ReX

We tried sending in our Spa Towel Warmers (ASIN# B07PPXWT2L) to be fulfilled by Amazon. We already had them listed to be fulfilled by the “seller”. When they arrive at 3 Amazon warehouses the listing was removed and classified as a Pesticide device. I’d be happy to remove all marketing around the tiny UV bulb located in the cabi, but the listing is frozen in time just like the stock we sent to Amazon’s warehouse.

We’ve been selling these cabinets all across the globe for over 15 years and helped to create industry standards. There are multiple vendors currently selling towel warmers made in the same factory and these are listed on Amazon right now. Please help us resolve this issue, as my manager won’t let me just have the cabinets returned.

Go to original post