A Business with No End -- Much explained about shady Amazon sellers

The New York Times has an article today that exposes the empire of ONE MAN who is largely responsible for multiple 10,000+ item Amazon sellers, weird brand names, wildly over-priced items, mysterious returns, drop-shipping, and more on Amazon. Pretty much a cornucopia of shady seller tactics on Amazon these days.

The vast international illegal operation employs hundreds of fake companies, fake churches, fake bookstores, fake department stores that may or may not exist, fake brands, fake HB1 visas, fake reviews, a fake university in California full of “students” on student visas who write click-bait and fake reviews, and even a fake psychiatric hospital. Oh, and apparently a lot of shady fake Amazon sellers. Not confined to Amazon, the empire also involves multiple click-bait farms and fake review farms, and even Newsweek magazine. All part of a vast hidden empire run by a man named Park.

Although not addressed in the article, does anyone want to bet that this organization doesn’t also file bogus complaints against competitors on Amazon?

I cannot post a link, but the long multi-part article is entitled A Business With No End in the New York Times, November 28.

VERY informative reading.

Gaming Amazon's review system

Story is not that well written and difficult to read with all the animated screenshots, which I had to keep disabling, through AdNauseam, in order to continue reading.

Suggested :snail: reading:

• Amazon gained a huge perk from its HQ2 contest that’s worth far more than any tax break
  • Was Amazon’s headquarters search ‘a giant ruse’? NYC, D.C. centers of power prevail
  • Amazon’s HQ2 Hunger Games Are Over, and Jeff Bezos Won

That’s odd. I found it very linear in explaining a vast inter-linked network, and easy to understand. Go figure.

Contrary to many, I don’t post “get Amazon” articles - and this wasn’t one. This article is about a the workings of an international organization responsible for many (if not most) of the seller problems on Amazon, My big take away was that these hundreds of drop-shipping companies are the work of a single criminal organization run by one man named Park (and therefore likely Korean). And the Amazon component is just a small part of it.

To me, that seemed like big news. Sorry you were not impressed.

Thank you for the article, I will share it on the Amazon UK Forum.

On Amazon Europe, many sellers are seriously concerned about these dropshippers as they are now dominating the platform, openly manipulating feedback and nothing is being done about it.

It’s not that it’s not big news.
It’s that this isn’t the first time.
Remember the Krasr incident?
That was one person. Embedded.
And caused a massive :poop: storm.

I can’t believe this is getting no attention. It’s an explanation of half the seller problems Amazon is having.

I didn’t find the screenshots annoying at all, seeing as they provide proof of what the article is describing.

For me, the article describes what I, and likely many other sellers and buyers find frustrating and problematic with doing business on AZ and other ecommerce sites.

Or what RedWing said.

Has nothing to do with you. It was the formatting of the article, I found annoying. I’m on a 27" monitor and animated screenshots, from bizmedia, were super annoying on a half screen article in large text. Maybe reads easier on a smaller screen.

The article is really helpful, because these exact same sellers are causing huge problems to UK sellers.

They are completely manipulating the site and sellers have been wondering for months how is it possible that these people are able to operate so many accounts and do the fraudulent dropshipping at such a big scale.

My ad blocker ate all the animations, so I can’t comment on that, but my biggest complaint is he never said what the point of it all was. Does it really make money? They touch on some fraud at the end, but that seemed like an afterthought.

The hint was that maybe all these businesses needed to look legit to be useful for duping investors, or maybe a bank, but then why did they need the university? Free labor? The story isn’t the web of shell companies, it’s WHY there’s a web of shell companies.

This whole thing could have been researched and written in a couple days by an experienced journalist. The only investigating was scrolling through business databases (which is time consuming, I guess), and ordering something drop shipped online. Stopping in the store provided color, but didn’t really shed any new light on the operation, its purpose, and why someone would go to all this effort to build so many terrible looking stores. If fact, it’s not clear if the original stevens was a victim that was pushed out of business or someone that cashed in by selling his failing business so Park could use it to build credibility.

As one of the “anti-dropshipper” folks (I know we don’t all agree on that), this just goes to show why you don’t want to trust your brand to folks who are doing essentially the same thing as this guy (but without the fraud). What a terrible shopping experience that I wouldn’t want a brand I rep to be associated with.

closed #11

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.