Seller Central
Seller Forums

Amazon Seller Forums » Selling on Amazon » Help For New Sellers

Thread: How to encourage feedback and product reviews?
Thread Archived This thread has been archived - replies are not allowed.

Permlink Replies: 10 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 05 Sep, 2013 11:22 AM by: victoria_regency
dealkiller

Posted on: 09 Jul, 2012 1:24 AM
Click to report abuse...
hi, buddy,

I am a new Amazon seller. I don't know how to encourage customer feedback and reviews?

Amazon said we could send a link while sending shipping confirmation, but how to? I even can't find how to send shipping confirm email (u know I just click that confirm button).

BTW. which is better in your opinion, feedback or reviews? It seems reviews is more direct than feedback.

thanks.
CKM

Posted on: 09 Jul, 2012 1:58 AM   in response to: dealkiller in response to: dealkiller
Click to report abuse...
Amazon sends both the shipping confirmation and three weeks later they send a follow up e-mail to the buyer requesting feedback on how the transaction went. The product review is something else altogether. They both serve their own purposes.
Oneida Books

Posted on: 09 Jul, 2012 2:50 AM   in response to: CKM in response to: CKM
Click to report abuse...
There are quite a few forum threads with very helpful techniques (link)

• Some will say it isn't important.OR Don't worry, it'll come.
    It's not if you already have a bunch. However, if you only have a couple and you get a neg it two then it suddenly becomes very important!
  • Some will say you shouldn't be begging for feedback
    Very true. You can alienate buyers.
  • Some might even say on the reviews you might give away stuff
    Not a good idea and there are threads about that also (link)

Do some reading ..... Then come back with you questions.

AND good morning to all ...... :)

4C

Posted on: 09 Jul, 2012 7:13 AM   in response to: Oneida Books in response to: Oneida Books
Click to report abuse...
I been here for 2 month. Business has been "ok" for me. I shipped over 400 orders the past 30 days. I got a total of 13 reviews for a feedback % of 3%. It was even less before the weekend (i got 3 this weekend). I come from the camp that asking for reviews is a nono (i never post one feedback personally in ebay or amazon and i buy a lot of crap).

I pretty much don't care for the system, as long as i am above 90%. If you get negative or ok reviews, do a search on how to deal with it in this forum.

Just ship early and have the mentality the customer is always right in Amazon no matter what and you will be fine.

Edited by: Four Covers Inc. on Jul 9, 2012 9:14 AM
Vending Toy Pride

Posted on: 09 Jul, 2012 7:25 AM   in response to: Oneida Books in response to: Oneida Books
Click to report abuse...
Some will say it isn't important.OR Don't worry, it'll come.
It's not if you already have a bunch. However, if you only have a couple and you get a neg it two then it suddenly becomes very important!

Some will say you shouldn't be begging for feedback
Very true. You can alienate buyers.

Some might even say on the reviews you might give away stuff
Not a good idea and there are threads about that also (link)

Oneida Books has been reading some of my posts....

Feedback is not that important. If you are in the business on collecting feedback and little icons, this is not the venue for you. Don't worry, it'll come.

You shouldn't beg for feedback. You have to be careful as you might get what you ask for. In Amazon's eyes (Metrics), no feedback counts the same as positive feedback. Asking for feedback and alienate buyers.. Amazon will send out a feedback reminder.

On the product review, you can give some products away so the person can experience it and give an honest review... This might be a good plan if you are working with a blog or other website but NOT on Amazon. Not a good idea!
Oneida Books

Posted on: 09 Jul, 2012 8:34 AM   in response to: Vending Toy Pride in response to: Vending Toy Pride
Click to report abuse...
Vending Toy Pride wrote:
Feedback is not that important.
Nope ... not that important in and of itself ... not until you have none ... get a couple of undeserved or maybe deserved neg.'s and get suspended. Then suddenly to a newbie it's very important.

Side note: I rarely ever by from any seller with little to no feedback.
Vending Toy Pride wrote:
If you are in the business on collecting feedback and little icons, this is not the venue for you. Don't worry, it'll come.
I don't know about that. It seems to work well enough for me .... :)
Vending Toy Pride wrote:
You shouldn't beg for feedback.
Of course not. The OP asked about encouraging feedback .... not begging for it. There are ways posted to get more than the average and help newbies look better to prospective buyers.
Vending Toy Pride wrote:
In Amazon's eyes (Metrics), no feedback counts the same as positive feedback.
No agruement here.
Vending Toy Pride wrote:
Amazon will send out a feedback reminder.
Which is why you send an email checking on delivery before Amazons
Vending Toy Pride wrote:
On the product review, you can give some products away so the person can experience it and give an honest review... This might be a good plan if you are working with a blog or other website but NOT on Amazon. Not a good idea!
Agreed ....

Hey, at least we agree on somethings.

OP ... the best thing about this forum is we all come here to express our own opinions .... just as Vending Toy Pride has done.

I did respond to their post (because they responded to mine) but if you should miss construe my intended purpose it is not to say they are wrong or that I am right. I'm just presenting my side of the argument.

You need to decide for yourself and your business what is best ...

Now it's off to lunch. I'm sure I'll hear
Vending Toy Pride

Posted on: 09 Jul, 2012 11:33 AM   in response to: Oneida Books in response to: Oneida Books
Click to report abuse...
Oneida Books

You make some good point but I disagree when it comes to feedback.
Having been in eBay's war room and working with the feedback team, I have some insight into the thinking that goes on in the back office.

Feedback has little effect on if a buyer makes a purchase. These based on numbers from eBay. What it does is allow buyer a chance to voice their displeasure. If a buyer makes a purchase and is unhappy they are less likely to return to the venue, but if they leave negative feedback, the chances they will return greatly increases.
The buyers feedback score had little effect on if the sale was made. We have even seen that with some sellers here who have had horrible feedback but continued to sell their wares.
This seems to fit with what Amazon is doing. They base the metrics on the total sales not the total feedback received. Amazon is fishing for bad feedback in hopes to having an unhappy buyer return. Plus it helps manage the sellers as some seller put a great deal importance on their icons and it tells which sellers might not be at their standards.

By contacting the buyer "begging" or even asking for feedback, the seller is doing the work for Amazon. No feedback is the same a positive feedback and better than negative feedback. The best way to over come a negative is to contact the buyer and see if they something can be done to make the sale a positive one, and more sales. The more sales a seller has, the less impact one or two dings on your metric will have. More positive feedback will have no effect on their metrics and based on the numbers from the other venue, little to no effect on making the next sale.

Amazon might be a little different from other venues but my bet is the numbers will tell the same story.

We don't know what category the OP works out of. The numbers might vary a little from category to category. In the categories I sell in feedback has little effect on the sale. If it was important to buyers, more buyers would leave feedback.

My overall advice is to continue to give good customer service. Amazon will have the buyer's back so they should feel comfortable buying from any seller here. Keep your buyers happy and Amazon should be happy.
It is always good to exchange ideas and thought with you Oneida Books (even when you are wrong..lol).

OP;
There are lots of business models on Amazon. No one business is the only correct way of conducting business here. Oneida has a plan that works for them but not one that would work for me. Read over all the advice, take the parts that work for your business.
Oneida Books

Posted on: 09 Jul, 2012 11:51 AM   in response to: Vending Toy Pride in response to: Vending Toy Pride
Click to report abuse...
Vending Toy Pride wrote:
It is always good to exchange ideas and thought with you Oneida Books (even when you are wrong..lol).
Ya just had to get a shot in ... didn't ya? (LOL)

I would agree with you on most points ... somewhat.

The biggest stickler is this still aint' eBay. Where I've had an account since '98 ... you know .... back in the days where I could go through all the computer stuff in under an hour ! While what you did there holds a very good bit of merit I still think it's somewhat skewed for Amazon .... JOM

Anyway on a more serious not:
Feedback importance overall as to sales is basically not important in most categories ... other than books ... which is the only place I can truly comment on other than what I personally look at.

Otherwise I agree will paragraph 2 ....

As to 'begging' I agree also. Apparently though you haven't been reading my posts .... as I do yours. ;)

You don't send an email begging or even asking for feedback.
At about 2 weeks you send an email :
1) Letting the buyer know you just want to check on the delivery
2) No need to respond unless there was a problem or if I can help you with something
3) If there was a problem please let me try to fix it
4) Oh yeah by the way. If you don't care or if you have some spare time I always appreciate reading buyers comments when left as feedback
5) Here's a handy link if you should choose to ... otherwise thank you for the purchase.

So maybe in toys it doesn't matter .... heck maybe not even in books .... but it still looks nice when I go read it.

:)

PS - Earlier that wasn't an icon shot was it 'cameraperson' ?
;)
Tomato Group

Posted on: 05 Sep, 2013 10:39 AM   in response to: dealkiller in response to: dealkiller
Click to report abuse...
Hi:

This link might provide you some actual constructive information than them two arguing over each other...

http://www.amazonsellersupportblog.com/2009/02/encouraging-feedback-in-the-selling-on-amazon-program.html

Edited by: Tomato Group on Sep 5, 2013 10:41 AM
Vending Toy Pride

Posted on: 05 Sep, 2013 11:07 AM   in response to: Tomato Group in response to: Tomato Group
Click to report abuse...
The blog post is dated February 18, 2009.
A lot has changed in nearly 5 years.
victoria_regency

Posted on: 05 Sep, 2013 11:22 AM   in response to: dealkiller in response to: dealkiller
Click to report abuse...
At the bottom of the packing slip, you can write "Thank you for your order. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us. Feedback is greatly appreciated." On the packing slip, Amazon tells them how to eave feedback.
Vicky