Seller Central
Seller Forums

Amazon Seller Forums » Selling on Amazon » General Selling Questions

Thread: Amazon's Sponsored Ads Waste of Money
Thread Archived This thread has been archived - replies are not allowed.

This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 27 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 31 May, 2017 9:17 AM by: QLPW
ZurvitaSuperStore

Posted on: 23 Apr, 2017 10:10 AM  
Click to report abuse...
I spent over 1000 dollars on amazons sponsored ads and I even out on sales as soon as I stopped the ads I had 0 sales , So techniqly I didn't Make a dime if fact I lost money Is there a program that teaches you about the best way to make money with their program?

Edited by: ZurvitaSuperStore on Apr 23, 2017 10:10 AM
Is this a helpful question? Yes 22   No
27 Replies
Sort replies by:
Rushdie

Posted on: 23 Apr, 2017 10:13 AM   in response to: ZurvitaSuperStore in response to: ZurvitaSuperStore  
Click to report abuse...
Any sponsored ads, for smaller sellers, are usually a waste of money. We stopped all advertising, entirely and suffered no loss because of it. We actually gained, since we are not throwing hundreds of dollars away on clicks anymore.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 33   No 15
Indy

Posted on: 23 Apr, 2017 10:18 AM   in response to: ZurvitaSuperStore in response to: ZurvitaSuperStore  
Click to report abuse...
IMO if you have zero sales of a product on Amazon without doing additional advertising, the product probably isn't in demand in the first place. Either it's not a popular item or it's not priced competitively. I've never done additional advertising and I still get sales as the products are in demand and priced competitively.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 39   No 13
Mellogirl

Posted on: 23 Apr, 2017 12:12 PM   in response to: Indy in response to: Indy  
Click to report abuse...
Indy wrote:
IMO if you have zero sales of a product on Amazon without doing additional advertising, the product probably isn't in demand in the first place. Either it's not a popular item or it's not priced competitively. I've never done additional advertising and I still get sales as the products are in demand and priced competitively.

I would also add products with too much competetion as a reason for a product not selling well, even if demand is high. A lot of sellers have posted wondering why their phone cases, usb cords, private label supplements, etc. don't sell.

When there are thousands of listings for what is pretty much the same product with a different private label brand at similar price points, demand is spread out.

Sales tend to go to established sellers whose products show up first in searches or category browsing due to higher rank because of sales history.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 22   No 3
The Big Deal Di...

Posted on: 23 Apr, 2017 12:31 PM   in response to: ZurvitaSuperStore in response to: ZurvitaSuperStore  
Click to report abuse...
Sponsored ads are only good if you are selling a new product with very little brand awareness. we only Use Sponsored ads to sell the items that we bring to market, as for national brand Items I never use Sponsored ads unless we are the exclusive seller for that item. They can work very well if used correctly. If not your are right you will just be throwing money at the wall
Was this reply helpful? Yes 19   No 7
CabinFeverBooks

Posted on: 23 Apr, 2017 1:07 PM   in response to: ZurvitaSuperStore in response to: ZurvitaSuperStore  
Click to report abuse...
I'd Think it would depend on what you're Selling...

Is it a Hot Item or Just some Ordinary Stuff...
Was this reply helpful? Yes 2   No 11
ZurvitaSuperStore

Posted on: 23 Apr, 2017 1:29 PM   in response to: The Big Deal Di... in response to: The Big Deal Di...  
Click to report abuse...
I have no reviews and the item is ranked low a great seller I use sponsored ads to improve the ranking I just want to know is there a formula or guideline to use so we know how to structure the cost per click and so we are not wasting funds on these ads
Was this reply helpful? Yes 3   No 2
Wolfy

Posted on: 23 Apr, 2017 10:42 PM   in response to: ZurvitaSuperStore in response to: ZurvitaSuperStore  
Click to report abuse...
You can spend thousands to advertise moldy bread. In the end nobody is going to buy moldy bread.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 4   No 14
PETSTORE HQ

Posted on: 23 Apr, 2017 10:50 PM   in response to: ZurvitaSuperStore in response to: ZurvitaSuperStore  
Click to report abuse...
We are small seller and have very good experience with sponsored ads. At the end of it the product you sponsor needs to be in demand and priced competitively to be successful and advertising is there to make your item easier to find for buyers.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 11   No 2
AmazonSeller99

Posted on: 23 Apr, 2017 11:57 PM   in response to: ZurvitaSuperStore in response to: ZurvitaSuperStore  
Click to report abuse...
That's just truly sad. How could you spend a thousand dollars before you figured out if an ad campaign wasn't working at all. I mean, it can take that much to figure out that it's not profitable after taking COGS into account but spending $1,000 without a single sale is just bad campaign management.

You should always run tests in advertising campaigns first. For new campaigns we always run them with a small advertising budget. Sometimes as little as $5 per day. We check up on them every few days to see if we're getting views, clicks and sales and then make necessary adjustments.

Currently, we have about 20 campaigns running and they are all profitable because they are all targeted to specific groups of products or brands and the amounts we pay vary depending on the type of products and how profitable they are.

One example I can give that was a complete failure was for some of our DVD titles. We were getting tons of clicks but not a lot of purchases and our costs were too high a percentage when compared to sales so we ended the campaign. It cost us about $100 to figure out that it just wasn't going to work out. But even then we were getting sales, it just wasn't enough to justify the investment.

I think you really need to look at your campaign(s) and figure out what it is that you're doing wrong. One recommendation is always select custom search terms. Use google or some other service to find good search words. You will get much better results if people who are clicking on your ads are actually interested in the products you are offering. Also, if you have one great product it can be best to have a separate campaign just for that one product.

Amazon's Sponsored Ads can definitely increase sales if done properly.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 7   No 4
jipjanneke

Posted on: 24 Apr, 2017 12:26 AM   in response to: ZurvitaSuperStore in response to: ZurvitaSuperStore  
Click to report abuse...
Your original question was, is there a program to help you learn Sponsored Ads. Yes, there is: check out Brian Johnston's 'Sponsored products Academy' and the associated PPCScope product.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 4   No 3
SaveOnMany

Posted on: 24 Apr, 2017 12:55 AM   in response to: ZurvitaSuperStore in response to: ZurvitaSuperStore  
Click to report abuse...
the cost is not the only consideration. you should check the impression and clicks. If the impression was great and click also great but no sales, it possiblely your ads did not reflect the right position of your ads, or your listing quality was bad, poeple will not buy when you put a unclear images or bad desceptions.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 6   No 2
AZ1234

Posted on: 24 Apr, 2017 1:00 AM   in response to: ZurvitaSuperStore in response to: ZurvitaSuperStore  
Click to report abuse...
Man, some of the childish, sophomoric responses in here… its when I read these types of responses, i'm reminded why Amazon outsources all their seller support overseas and could care less about the lot of us… to the few sellers in here who offered advice, cheers to you for trying to offer value.

To the OP, when dealing with PPC (pay-per-click) campaigns, micro-testing campaigns to get your conversion ratio as high as you can while minimizing the costs is the real trick.

• Always start with long tail keywords as their CPC will be the lowest.
• Be sure to filter out negative keywords and other discrepancies to ensure there are no wasted clicks.
• Set daily limits of no higher than 10$ when testing campaigns.

• Use googles keyword tool so you can pick keywords based of trends (go back 1-2 years but no more).

After you have done this and have managed to create a profitable campaign, THEN its time to scale the campaign by opening the flood gates and allowing larger volumes of traffic through.

There is always the notion that your product may not be in demand, priced competitively, ECT… but before your listen to pits of negativity and amateurism by some members (not all) in here, perform your own diligence and cross all the t's and dot all the i's during your "testing phases" as specified above to reach such conclusions on your own.

Best of luck.

Was this reply helpful? Yes 61   No 8
Shenzhen-Reputa...

Posted on: 24 Apr, 2017 1:57 AM   in response to: ZurvitaSuperStore in response to: ZurvitaSuperStore  
Click to report abuse...
Do you think your price is reasonable?
Was this reply helpful? Yes 3   No 0
superunature

Posted on: 24 Apr, 2017 1:58 AM   in response to: ZurvitaSuperStore in response to: ZurvitaSuperStore  
Click to report abuse...
imo, ebay's sponsored offer is a much safer investment as you bid per sale instead of bid per clicks as you don't care about how many click you get, you care about how much sales you get.
with that said, I am still pretty profitable with my amazon sponsored offer.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 2   No 2