Seller Central
Seller Forums

Amazon Seller Forums » Selling on Amazon » General Selling Questions

Thread: FAKESPOT is bad for Amazon, sellers & buyers.How do we stop their lies?
Thread Archived This thread has been archived - replies are not allowed.

This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 14 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 08 Oct, 2015 1:23 PM by: f b a
SpellboundRX Ph...

Posted on: 08 Oct, 2015 11:11 AM  
Click to report abuse...
My name is Judy Alcantara. I am a VP with Gynex Laboratories the company that owns SpellboundRX. We are a Amazon.com seller who receives very positive reviews from all of our customers. We only listed a few of our products on Amazon.com to test the experience. We planned to add 100 more of our products.

A website called FAKESPOT claims to "analyze" customer reviews on Amazon.com and give a "Grade" on those reviews.

They imply having a relationship with Amazon.com to give their website credibility and undermine our credibility on Amazon.com. From their about us page…. “Fakespot identifies fake reviews, currently supporting Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.ca, Amazon.com.au.”

FAKESPOT uses the name Amazon and Amazon.com all over their site to give themselves credibility. They pull images, descriptions and content directly from our product listings on Amazon.com. They link directly to Amazon listings.

They list no contact information for themselves or a company. If you click the contact link at the bottom of their website page, it only lists a generic email address. No phone number, no address, no name, no anything.

More than 25,000 customers from around the world use and trust our products. We try hard to make sure our customers are very happy with our products, our company and their entire experience with our SpellboundRX brand. A result of that effort is that the vast majority of our real customers write very positive reviews on our company website and on Amazon.com.

FAKESPOT is making a claim that they "analyzed" our customers’ reviews and claim "18% fake reviews detected". Their only criteria they refer to is the high ratio of positive reviews. They assume that since there are so many positive reviews, they must be fake. They claim that since our customers love us, they must be fake. On the same page that shows us getting a "Grade" of C, they show our competitors products that have many negative reviews and state "You can fully trust the reviews of this product." They seem to like products that have a lot of bad reviews. Or they are accepting money from those companies to give them a higher Grade.

They make money using the Amazon name to generate traffic to their fake analysis of genuine customer reviews, and selling ads based on that traffic.

Our customers are real and their reviews are real.

How can we stop this website from using the Amazon brand to trash our name and our hard earned honest reputation with Amazon.com.

Edited by: Scotty@SellerSupport on Oct 8, 2015 11:14 AM
Edited to remove contact number and email

Edited by: JamieM@SellerSupport on Oct 8, 2015 11:26 AM
Edited to remove offsite URL
Is this a helpful question? Yes 13   No
14 Replies
Sort replies by:
Parts B

Posted on: 08 Oct, 2015 11:13 AM   in response to: SpellboundRX Ph... in response to: SpellboundRX Ph...  
Click to report abuse...
STOP THAT!!!
Was this reply helpful? Yes 1   No 29
SeedyCDs123

Posted on: 08 Oct, 2015 11:16 AM   in response to: SpellboundRX Ph... in response to: SpellboundRX Ph...  
Click to report abuse...
I don't see anything on that website that indicates that they're affiliated with Amazon, or doing anything other than commenting on Amazon reviews.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 6   No 4
CanadaRAM

Posted on: 08 Oct, 2015 11:19 AM   in response to: SpellboundRX Ph... in response to: SpellboundRX Ph...  
Click to report abuse...
@spellbound
Hard to tell, but you do realize you are posting on a public Seller Forum, not speaking to Amazon directly, correct?

There is little any of us here can do about your problem, much less go after a website to chastise them for using the Amazon trademark.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 3   No 11
New Papaw

Posted on: 08 Oct, 2015 11:20 AM   in response to: SpellboundRX Ph... in response to: SpellboundRX Ph...  
Click to report abuse...
I believe you are giving them way more credit than they deserve. Just another blogger who thinks he has found a nitch. Especially since you need the exact url to even have the site look at an item. I again, believe no one is going to go through that.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 3   No 4
SeedyCDs123

Posted on: 08 Oct, 2015 11:21 AM   in response to: New Papaw in response to: New Papaw  
Click to report abuse...
You don't need to know the exact URL, although their search doesn't seem to be very effective, returning only one of numerous products.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 1   No 0
Beff Jezos

Posted on: 08 Oct, 2015 11:25 AM   in response to: SpellboundRX Ph... in response to: SpellboundRX Ph...  
Click to report abuse...
As I suspected, it's an affiliate site.

Any ratings on reviews are purely bogus -- they just want you to click on the "go to product" link, which puts an affiliate cookie on your computer. If you buy anything on Amazon in the next 24 hours, FakeSpot gets a commission.

Typical internet marketer crap. Though as affiliates, they are entitled to use the Amazon name on their site.

OP, find out who owns the domain. Have your legal team send them a cease-and-desist letter. My bet is they fold up like a cheap suit.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 30   No 3
SpellboundRX Ph...

Posted on: 08 Oct, 2015 11:26 AM   in response to: CanadaRAM in response to: CanadaRAM  
Click to report abuse...
Yes I know this is just the seller forum. I have contacted seller support about this as well. Just thought I would tap into other sellers to see what they think.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 3   No 0
FloridaSeller

Posted on: 08 Oct, 2015 12:06 PM   in response to: SpellboundRX Ph... in response to: SpellboundRX Ph...  
Click to report abuse...
An excerpt from one of 12 reviews on a product you sell...

"...Also the company is making great strides to make sure the costumer is super happy so far I have nothing negative to say about the product or the company".

Referring to the customer as a "costumer" is definitely a seller trait that I have seen here on the forums too often. No real customer says that. lol

Another in its entirety...

"Thanks SpellboundRx and Ginex Laboratories for quality produce, Great service, of course Armani leather its great Cologne.love it. Thanks."

Real customers don't thank the manufacturer and seller in a one-sentence 'review'.

An excerpt from another...

"...Very professional company and holds high standards on every product. No cutting corners here...."

An Amazon buyer would never say that. How would he know about your standard on every product?

I'm not going to scrutinize the rest of them on the one product page, but I would suggest that you look around Amazon and see what real people write in reviews. Also, it is a violation of law not to disclose in a review that the product was free or discounted in exchange for the review, via coupon or whatever.

I think that you come here indignant with the opinion that we are stupid. If you're even half-arse intelligent, you'll leave this one alone. And I don't need FAKESPOT to spot BS reviews...
Was this reply helpful? Yes 30   No 16
Kenny rodgers

Posted on: 08 Oct, 2015 12:12 PM   in response to: FloridaSeller in response to: FloridaSeller  
Click to report abuse...
Nicely put!
Was this reply helpful? Yes 9   No 3
CaseM

Posted on: 08 Oct, 2015 12:50 PM   in response to: SpellboundRX Ph... in response to: SpellboundRX Ph...  
Click to report abuse...
I just checked the site, it is 100% Bogus, I used one of my products that has 2/5 rating so it is not liked by customers, they said most of the review are fake, LOL, my customers are correct it is a bad product and we are removing it from our inventory!! so their system does not work, and the site should be SUED.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 5   No 6
f b a

Posted on: 08 Oct, 2015 12:57 PM   in response to: Beff Jezos in response to: Beff Jezos  
Click to report abuse...
at least they have a gimmick and they are not simply a link farm
f b a

Posted on: 08 Oct, 2015 12:59 PM   in response to: CaseM in response to: CaseM  
Click to report abuse...
they made you look though ...

now you just have to follow their link trails back to Amazon and purchase something
Shadowfax

Posted on: 08 Oct, 2015 1:19 PM   in response to: SeedyCDs123 in response to: SeedyCDs123  
Click to report abuse...
you can tell if you hover over a product and see their URL. Their affiliate tag is usually there.

But you ARE suppose to plainly state you are an amazon affiliate on any affiliate web site. So they are breaking those amazon rules.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 0   No 0
f b a

Posted on: 08 Oct, 2015 1:22 PM   in response to: Shadowfax in response to: Shadowfax  
Click to report abuse...
Shadowfax wrote:
you can tell if you hover over a product and see their URL. Their affiliate tag is usually there.

But you ARE suppose to plainly state you are an amazon affiliate on any affiliate web site. So they are breaking those amazon rules.

So you are familiar with the affiliate system.

Make an anti-site then, and refute their claims with your own affiliate links!

Soon the cyber-battle will be picked up, it might become a meme, you both will cash in, you might write a book ... the possibilities are endless!
Was this reply helpful? Yes 4   No 3