Seller Central
Seller Forums

Amazon Seller Forums » Selling on Amazon » General Selling Questions

Thread: Heard of Reviewboard Magazine?
Thread Archived This thread has been archived - replies are not allowed.

This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 42 - Pages: 3 [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] - Last Post: 08 Oct, 2014 6:05 PM by: Beff Jezos
cdsrus4

Posted on: 05 Aug, 2014 7:07 AM   in response to: Gems-Is-Me in response to: Gems-Is-Me  
Click to report abuse...
Gems-Is-Me wrote:
I forgot to mention that when I first received their request and things were still very friendly, I suggested that they purchase the item, review it, and return it to me for a full refund. I thought that was fair.

Any lawyers out there willing to give free advice? My lawyer says to just let it go since they didn't actually "threaten" to do anything.

Danielle

Didn't they threaten to give you a bad review? Rather than letting it go I might contact the Better Business Bureau. I am not sure if this would be construed as Internet Fraud. If that be the case I would bring it to the attention that agency.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 4   No 0
f b a

Posted on: 05 Aug, 2014 7:08 AM   in response to: Gems-Is-Me in response to: Gems-Is-Me  
Click to report abuse...
Style could post comment after comment on that undeserved, unfair Amazon review, but that would not improve the rating, however bogus.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 3   No 3
Gems-Is-Me

Posted on: 05 Aug, 2014 7:09 AM   in response to: f b a in response to: f b a  
Click to report abuse...
True. I forgot about the rating.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 1   No 0
Gems-Is-Me

Posted on: 05 Aug, 2014 7:10 AM   in response to: cdsrus4 in response to: cdsrus4  
Click to report abuse...
They didn't actually threaten. They said they were of "half a mind" to do it. According to my lawyer, that is not an actual threat. I really hate legalese.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 3   No 0
f b a

Posted on: 05 Aug, 2014 7:11 AM   in response to: cdsrus4 in response to: cdsrus4  
Click to report abuse...
Who reads the review if they post it on their own site? - if they post it on Amazon, at least the OP has some proof and it might be possible to have that review taken down.

Sometimes Amazon takes a review down. Sometimes they do not.

It's not any real actual crime - yet - although intimidation should also be dealt with.

There is a site where Internet crimes could be reported - but this case would not take priority there.

www.ic3.gov - it might be worth to submit the case there.

This is not Better Business Bureau territory.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 4   No 3
f b a

Posted on: 05 Aug, 2014 7:13 AM   in response to: Gems-Is-Me in response to: Gems-Is-Me  
Click to report abuse...
Nevertheless, explore that site more and report it to

www.ic3.gov

let them look into this, that's their task ... I am sure that these people already got some free merchandise semi-legally. Yes, it is still kind of legal, as the manufacturers - owners sent them items on their own ... but under duress sometimes, or they were being misled.
Gems-Is-Me

Posted on: 05 Aug, 2014 7:24 AM   in response to: f b a in response to: f b a  
Click to report abuse...
Just filed the complaint. I will post any information from them (if any comes since there has not yet been any fraud).
Was this reply helpful? Yes 2   No 0
f b a

Posted on: 05 Aug, 2014 7:28 AM   in response to: Gems-Is-Me in response to: Gems-Is-Me  
Click to report abuse...
Gems-Is-Me wrote:
Just filed the complaint. I will post any information from them (if any comes since there has not yet been any fraud).
Good. It's not going to be high priority, but they are on their radar now.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 3   No 2
Kharma Khare, I...

Posted on: 08 Oct, 2014 2:15 PM   in response to: Gems-Is-Me in response to: Gems-Is-Me  
Click to report abuse...
Gems-Is-Me wrote:
I received an email from Reviewboard Magazine asking if I would please send them a free sample of my items for them to evaluate and review on their magazine. This item would not be returned nor paid for. The ring they requested was approximately $900.00. For obvious reasons, I declined.

That's when things went south! The "Editor in Chief" of the magazine sent me rude emails saying that I don't understand how this industry works and that I am over my head. Considering that I have been selling online and on Amazon for over 10 years I guess I am doing OK for someone that is over their head.

He also said "I have half a mind to make sure our readers stay away from your offerings" which I take as a threat.

Obviously, after these emails I would not do business with them even if I had "half a mind" to review my position.

I sent a copy of their emails to my lawyer who advised me to stop all correspondence with these people (which I had already done) and to just watch that I do not get any unearned negative feedbacks and/or bad reviews either on Amazon or on other sites.

This email is basically to ask if anyone else has heard of this company and also to caution anyone who may hear from them in the future. Be careful of doing business with any company that would use such tactics which (in my opinion) is just extortion.

Danielle

Edited by: Gems-Is-Me on Aug 5, 2014 5:38 AM
Gems-Is-Me wrote:
I received an email from Reviewboard Magazine asking if I would please send them a free sample of my items for them to evaluate and review on their magazine. This item would not be returned nor paid for. The ring they requested was approximately $900.00. For obvious reasons, I declined.

That's when things went south! The "Editor in Chief" of the magazine sent me rude emails saying that I don't understand how this industry works and that I am over my head. Considering that I have been selling online and on Amazon for over 10 years I guess I am doing OK for someone that is over their head.

He also said "I have half a mind to make sure our readers stay away from your offerings" which I take as a threat.

Obviously, after these emails I would not do business with them even if I had "half a mind" to review my position.

I sent a copy of their emails to my lawyer who advised me to stop all correspondence with these people (which I had already done) and to just watch that I do not get any unearned negative feedbacks and/or bad reviews either on Amazon or on other sites.

This email is basically to ask if anyone else has heard of this company and also to caution anyone who may hear from them in the future. Be careful of doing business with any company that would use such tactics which (in my opinion) is just extortion.

Danielle

Edited by: Gems-Is-Me on Aug 5, 2014 5:38 AM

Just reported Review Board magazine and "Editor-in-Chief" ReviewBoard Magazine to the FTC. Going to also report to Internet Crime Complaint Center (www.ic3.gov) because this is a total scam.

We (Epoch Design) we were contacted by several "beat editors" from Review Board in April requesting product for a photo shop and review for a big Holiday Gift Guide with "huge exposure". We decided to send just one product for testing (Radia Loft Bed $1,049) and shipped to the "Headquarters" at 71 Oaklawn Ave, Oswego IL 60543.

After months of no response to phone and email inquiries if they had received the product etc I started to suspect this was a scam but sent the email:

"Hi EJ/Brade,
We sent you a product worth over $1000 and have heard nothing back in 5 months. I need an update on this immediately."

The response from a mobile phone (which I first read as though he was maybe drunk) was:
"You were told it would be in the holiday buyers guide. Now you are making demands. Im confused did you pay for this opportunity or are you under the impression we like to sleep in bunk beds and secretly want it? Where do you think this line of emailing is going to take you? You shouldnt poke the bear."

We replied:

"Hi Brade, I apologize -- I had forgotten that this was for a Holiday review, however it had been several months with no response to my many emails or phone messages to even confirm you had received the product. Naturally I was concerned. No, we did not pay except for the product and shipping cost. Still I'm not sure how that's relevant to the fact that none of my emails or phone calls were returned. Maybe you are having a bad morning, but your sarcasm is completely unprofessional."

And then, I received this response:

"Did you really just send me an unprofessional email whining about accountability when we are putting you in our holiday buyer's guide that 28 million people read last year for free and call me unprofessional when I told you to cool it? Neat. OK Pot. We are busy with the biggest offering we do every year to the public. I'm sorry I can't hold your hand and tell you that the free service we are providing you is going well. I get 3000 emails a day and I'm on the phone and in meetings all day. I run the 2nd most popular consumer review publication in the world and I'm busy. I called you because I was doing the housewares editor a favor she was out on maternity leave. Instead of going to our contact us page http://www.reviewboard.com/contact-us/ and clicking the pull down menu to select "Review Status" like everyone else does you felt the need to reach out directly and pester me. If you had just gone through the process the way we have it set up your request would have been routed to Martha and she might have returned your request via email or phone (if she wasn't busy) and worst case scenario an intern would have.

Listen before you let your ego write a check your company can't cash just stop. I can illustrate unprofessional for you if you need a definition but it won't be nice and you won't like the consequences. This isn't an ad buy that you are likely used to, this is a free editorial piece that is worth 300x anything you ever bought. That puts me in the cat bird seat. It is also the reason we don't sell ads, I like to be in the cat bird seat. So I'm the one that is used to groveling and accountability it isn't the other way around.

Oh and poor you - you sent a bed out for a shoot and evaluation what a price to pay for exposure at a level your company has never had. #coolstory? I'm having a wonderful day, I'm about to take a break and go drink some coffee. You haven't ruined it yet, but if I have to get on the phone with your boss and explain to her that you blew it and why I'll feel a little bad. So second time... chill out.

Brade Smith
Editor-In-Chief
Reviewboard Magazine
773-649-9088 e.855 o

At this point I was pretty confident this was a scam, found this forum, and realized that the whole thing is fraudulent. In fact, the address where we shipped the product is a mobile-type home in Oswego IL.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/71+Oaklawn+Ave,+Oswego,+IL+60543/@41.6928433,-88.3439802,3a,75y,281.68h,82.25t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sTX1ZVUcKV8Jce0X7Di9zUw!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x880eee40bcd2759d:0x15c91ddd20e3dcc3!6m1!1e1

Furthermore, our Radia Loft bed is being sold on EBay for Local pick up in Oswego IL. Notice the photos in boxes inside the house.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Epoch-By-Design-Radia-Twin-Loft-Bed-Local-Pick-Up-Only-Chicago-Land-Area-/121370635461?pt=US_Bed_and_Bed_Frames&hash=item1c4240ecc5

Of course there will never be a photoshoot or any review.

On closer inspection I believe the website www.reviewboard.com is scraping reviews from the internet for products he/they receive and selling on ebay. There are over 100 products listed in the ebay store:

http://www.ebay.com/usr/fastcashogden630?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Now I can clearly see that their social sites like Facebook have all spoof account followers. 100k+ fans yet no engagement, all content auto-generated. Furthermore the "Editor-in-Chief" of the "2nd most popular consumer reports website" doesn't even have a Linked In Profile, nor do any of his "editors".

Wish we had looked into this in greater detail prior to shipping off the product. We are not responding to further communications to avoid "poking the bear" but have reported to appropriate authorities.

Highly recommend avoid working with this "company" (fraud scam out of Oswego IL)
Was this reply helpful? Yes 4   No 0
f b a

Posted on: 08 Oct, 2014 2:27 PM   in response to: Kharma Khare, I... in response to: Kharma Khare, I...  
Click to report abuse...
What a chatty scammer! I mean potential reviewer.
flyingwoodenbunny

Posted on: 08 Oct, 2014 3:37 PM   in response to: Gems-Is-Me in response to: Gems-Is-Me  
Click to report abuse...
Besides the .gov that I think it was ASB directed you to, it's also a great idea to let the Attorney General's office in Illinois know this is happening in their state. I'm pretty sure they will also investigate if they don't already know about them. Many times the only way they find out is through the experiences of peeps like you and Karma.

Had to do this with both the feds and the New York AG's office a few years back.

The business practices of this so called mag or as they call it their 'dawt com' is absolutely repulsive.

I also do some reviewing for a couple newspaper groups and supply what I need to review to the group of peeps I use to test for me. I have never asked for a freebe and never will. IMHO I figure if someone is going to give a fair review they need not be furnished and item from a business/company.

This is a pretty dirty, skeevy bunch of huckabucks. Thanks for letting us know about them.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 1   No 1
Gems-Is-Me

Posted on: 08 Oct, 2014 3:45 PM   in response to: Kharma Khare, I... in response to: Kharma Khare, I...  
Click to report abuse...
Thanks for the update. I am the original poster regarding this company. I never sent them any product since they had requested an expensive ring and it just didn't feel right.

I did report them to the BBB but they said that since I was not out any money there was nothing they could do. If there is any way I can help with your case please let me know. I would love to see these people in jail.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 1   No 0
f b a

Posted on: 08 Oct, 2014 3:47 PM   in response to: flyingwoodenbunny in response to: flyingwoodenbunny  
Click to report abuse...
There is quite an underground of moms who videotape their tykes while they are testing new toys.

Quite adorable actually. The best ones probably start getiing free toys without asking the companies.

Instant models, instant stage moms, thanks to the instantaneity of the Internet.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 2   No 3
Statler and Wal...

Posted on: 08 Oct, 2014 3:58 PM   in response to: Kharma Khare, I... in response to: Kharma Khare, I...  
Click to report abuse...
Kharma Khare, Inc. wrote:
Furthermore, our Radia Loft bed is being sold on EBay for Local pick up in Oswego IL. Notice the photos in boxes inside the house.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Epoch-By-Design-Radia-Twin-Loft-Bed-Local-Pick-Up-Only-Chicago-Land-Area-/121370635461?pt=US_Bed_and_Bed_Frames&hash=item1c4240ecc5

Zoom in on the Pictures better... That's not a HOUSE, that's a PAWN SHOP.

I'd have the Chief of Police of Oswego, Illinois on the phone so fast that their heads would spin...

And I'd find out what Charges I was able to file (Theft by deception?)

I'd also contact eBay Fraud, and let them know...

Tide.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 1   No 2
f b a

Posted on: 08 Oct, 2014 4:01 PM   in response to: Statler and Wal... in response to: Statler and Wal...  
Click to report abuse...
Did you change your Hide?
Was this reply helpful? Yes 2   No 3