Seller Central
Seller Forums

Amazon Seller Forums » Selling on Amazon » Order Management, Shipping, Feedback & Returns

Thread: Returns when I'm based Outside of USA? Mega Confused.
Thread Archived This thread has been archived - replies are not allowed.

This question is not answered.

Permlink Replies: 5 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 19 Apr, 2014 2:31 PM by: Marilyn's Attic
Oscar J Smith

Posted on: 18 Apr, 2014 12:22 PM  
Click to report abuse...
Hi guys

I've looked around the forum but was unable to find a clear answer for the following question, so apologies if it has already been answered before.

I will be selling in the USA (on Amazon.com).

My products are manufactured outside of the US, and also, I do not live in the US, or, have a US mailing address.

Shipping to the USA using FBA is straight forward.

I recall reading somewhere that Amazon will only return items to a US address. Is this true?

How would the returns/refunds process work for somebody who is selling on Amazon.com but who doesn't live in the USA?

Will FBA return my product back to me (United Kingdom), or back to the country of manufacture?

If not, would I just have to ship it back to myself or the factory using another shipping carrier? If yes, what would the costs be?

I'm concerned about this due to the big cost of shipping that will be incurred due to not taking advantage of FBA's discounted shipping.

Please could anyone help me with this?

Thank you
Is this a helpful question? Yes 0   No
5 Replies
Sort replies by:
NextGen Gamer

Posted on: 18 Apr, 2014 1:10 PM   in response to: Oscar J Smith in response to: Oscar J Smith  
Click to report abuse...
Oscar J Smith wrote:
Hi guys

I've looked around the forum but was unable to find a clear answer for the following question, so apologies if it has already been answered before.

I will be selling in the USA (on Amazon.com).

My products are manufactured outside of the US, and also, I do not live in the US, or, have a US mailing address.

Shipping to the USA using FBA is straight forward.

I recall reading somewhere that Amazon will only return items to a US address. Is this true?

How would the returns/refunds process work for somebody who is selling on Amazon.com but who doesn't live in the USA?

Will FBA return my product back to me (United Kingdom), or back to the country of manufacture?

If not, would I just have to ship it back to myself or the factory using another shipping carrier? If yes, what would the costs be?

I'm concerned about this due to the big cost of shipping that will be incurred due to not taking advantage of FBA's discounted shipping.

Please could anyone help me with this?

Thank you

You have to find a company or peer in the US that is willing to take the Amazon FBA returns and then return them to you. There is no way Amazon is going to return damaged/unfulfillable product back to the UK. I'd also make sure the company you use does not sell on Amazon, as that may give Amazon the impression you are colluding with them.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 1   No 0
Something New E...

Posted on: 18 Apr, 2014 3:35 PM   in response to: Oscar J Smith in response to: Oscar J Smith  
Click to report abuse...
I believe NextGen is correct. But you might get more answers if you post your question on the FBA board.

I know that returns can be a problem any time you're dealing with an international buyer or seller. Seems like adding FBA to the mix would make it easier on the buyers (the buyer simply returns it to Amazon) but harder on you.

David
Was this reply helpful? Yes 0   No 0
Oscar J Smith

Posted on: 19 Apr, 2014 2:42 AM   in response to: NextGen Gamer in response to: NextGen Gamer  
Click to report abuse...
Thanks NextGen.

So, let's say I find a company called shippingcompanyA.

Do I get Amazon to send the product to shippingcompanyA, and then shippingcompanyA essentially forwards that product to me in the UK, or, back to my manufacturer.

Or would shippingcompanyA collect the item from Amazon?

I'm new to all this so sorry for asking such basic questions.

I'm thinking that if an item is manufactured for less than $6, it may be more economical to just have Amazon literally throw the product away than deal with all this shipping and extra costs. Would they do that or are you obliged to receive the product back? What do you guys think?

And yes I will ask in the FBA forum too, thank you for the suggestion.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 0   No 0
Style

Posted on: 19 Apr, 2014 5:58 AM   in response to: Oscar J Smith in response to: Oscar J Smith  
Click to report abuse...
Oscar, you're right, on a cheap item, better to have them dispose of it, which FBA can do, and it would be cheaper. Otherwise, you put in a "removal order" and give whatever address you want it sent to in the US.

Thre is an extensive FBA section in Seller Help. I read it about 6 times before starting FBA. Not sure if it covers this or not. Biggest thing is to understand the fees.

Actually, fur under $10 items, unless you're paying 25 cents to buy them, FBA isn't very cost effective. You don't get a ship concession, and on small items, it's going to cost you $2.50-$3 to get it pulled, packed and shpped, PLUS the item commissions. I don't send under $10 stuff except for a few low cost things if I'm trying to get rid of overstock.

Still, if most of your customers are US based, it's going to be far cheaper than shipping from out of US. First class mail isn't expensive, but can be way too slow and experience customs delays, so you're smart to consider FBA.

Good luck!

Style
Was this reply helpful? Yes 0   No 1
Marilyn's Attic

Posted on: 19 Apr, 2014 2:31 PM   in response to: Oscar J Smith in response to: Oscar J Smith  
Click to report abuse...
Buyer buys. Amazon ships fba item to buyer.
Buyer decides to return for whatever reason. They send it back to Amazon.

If it's resellable, it goes back in your inventory for sale.
If it's not sellable -- those are the ones you have to deal with. You either need to find a USA address to have them sent to, from which you then have it sent back to you or to your Manu. OR you pay to have Amazon destroy it. One gotcha with FBA is 95% of items marked customer damaged by the warehouse really aren't damaged at all, but you have to pull then back to you, inspect them to find out, then send them back to the warehouse.

The other gotcha is long term storage --there is a limit of time as to how long an item can live at the warehouse. If you go over that time, you either have to pull the items back to you, destroy them or pay fairly stiff long term storage fees. If you have no where to pull inventory back to, that limits your options.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 0   No 2