user profile
Sign in
user profile

Getting started: Should you be calculating Sales Tax when selling in the US?

by News_Amazon

A common question sellers bring to Amazon is if they should be calculating tax on their orders and how to do so. There are many different types of sales tax obligations, including calculating, collecting, remitting, and reporting. Your tax obligation as a seller in Amazon’s store is unique to your business, and you and your tax professional are the best suited to determine your tax obligations. You and your tax professional should discuss aspects of your business, including the products you sell and where you sell them to determine your tax obligations. In some states, Amazon, not you, is the tax responsible party as determined by state legislation. For orders destined to these states, Amazon will calculate, collect, and remit sales and use tax. When you do have an obligation to collect sales tax, most states require that you register with a tax authority before proceeding.

Amazon provides an optional tax calculation service to professional sellers selling in the US marketplace. Once you understand what your tax obligation is and you’ve registered with the appropriate tax authorities, you are ready to start setting up your tax calculation configuration for your listings.

Learn more about Amazon’s Tax Calculation Services

Tags: News and Announcements
9 replies
9 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_tvUnTMOounkGW
In reply to: News_Amazon's post

Great click-bait headline.

" Should you be calculating Sales Tax when selling in the US?"

Answer: Don’t ask us!

user profile
Seller_aYQ8G1MIpl1JG

Where does it show how much tax has been recieved, per state in our seller central acct?

user profile
Seller_XFj8akGqahG0f

by amazon collecting sales tax they have opened themselves up to collecting in all states. they are the responsible party in all states now no matter what they print in here.

user profile
Seller_kfNEwA5Nk9Y0Q

If Amazon is taking care of tax in my state do I need to continually add GEN_TAX to my listing? Can this safely be eliminated from my listing?

There are no more posts to display
Go to original post