user profile
Sign in
user profile

Don't understand why Amazon prefers taking buybox away from everyone if prices go up slightly

by Seller_mNk6Co6EqKb5q

This has been an ongoing issue for years and frankly I don’t get it. There’s an item with a list price/MSRP of $15 (one of many examples). Sellers at the buybox have been selling the product for about $7. Right now lowest price is $8 (and rising because of low supply + high demand), and as soon as it went above $7, we ALL lost the buybox. ~30 sellers, about half of us FBA, and Amazon just has the “Available from these sellers” page up for a week now. I just don’t understand how that makes any sense. The worst part is that on the top they list product with “lower” price and they’re all higher priced junk. Does anyone know how log it takes for Amazon to kinda “recalibrate” the buybox to the rising prices?

Tags: Buy Box, Listings, Pricing
9 replies
9 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_piL7iNoHXIzZw
In reply to: Seller_mNk6Co6EqKb5q's post

Took 4 months on one of my listings. They wanted me to reduce the price but that price was lower than my cost to manufacture the product. I just left it as-is and after about 4 months, the buybox reappeared and sales began to flow again. Was FBM and FBA. Once listing gained the buybox, I did not reship anymore to FBA and only sell FBM now.

user profile
Seller_olet7eVOHxQZd

Is the product sold elsewhere on the web? Like is it listed on Wally for less? If so, no bb for you.

user profile
Seller_atnk8fSvVuoeY

Is that an accurate list price based on Amazon standards? If not, Amazon ignores it.

Any reference price you provide must represent the price at which you or other retailer(s) or seller(s) have recently made substantial sales of the product in question.

user profile
Seller_eKF1L3i4LxO1i

Just be glad they didn’t leave the buy box and give it to an international seller that can’t deliver before Christmas.

user profile
Seller_nRFmxiQg4EGrw

While none of us are privy to the details of how the BB works, one trend that seems to hold is that when the price goes up, the BB goes away, as it is based on sales history.

I’ve seen this often in books; several sellers share BB at (for example) $40; someone new lists at $15, gets the BB, and the next sale. Even when it goes back to the lowest price being $40, there is no BB for several months.
Price changes that are not the result of sale do not seem to have the same effect; I’ve often raised my price when the lowest and still kept the BB.

Note that all of this is best-guess conjecture, based on what parts we can see. Amazon doesn’t reveal how they decide.

user profile
Seller_mNk6Co6EqKb5q

Ok, I did some digging on the interwebs and found that there is a similar (but inferior) product on Walmart for $6.99. But Walmart also has the EXACT SAME product for $11. So Amazon is pegging our product against the wrong one elsewhere. Is there anything that can be done about this? Literally losing hundreds of dollars in sales because of this mishap

user profile
Seller_EVkdMK6AvzRoT

We are the only one selling a private brand and I have seen this on our prime listings. Seems bad for Business.

There are no more posts to display
Go to original post