user profile
Sign in
user profile

Any Way to Escalate A to Z Claim Before Being Forced to Authorzize Return?

by Seller_BZt24FNdvMoOx

We sold a buyer a diamond engagement ring in the Handmade Section on Amazon. In addition to being handmade, it was custom-sized to the buyer’s ring size specification.

Item was shipped to buyer and about 1 week after delivery, we get a Return Request put in through/via Amazon Customer Service (not from buyer initiated process) indicating that the ring was “too bulky”. In other words, buyer’s remorse (more likely, buyer’s girlfriend turned him down and now we’re supposed to eat a moderately expensive handmade ring).

We respond indicating that since this was a custom-made-to-order item, it was non-returnable under Amazon’s Custom and Handmade policy.

Buyer then opens an A to Z claim with the following rambling (non-sensical) input from Customer Service:

Customer comments: The seller do not want to accept the return cause the costumer disputes that size its too big. The product description does not switch sizes and it does not show that its not a returnable item.

We respond to A to Z citing the policy, linking the policy and indicating that just because the buyer no longer wants or likes the item, does not change Amazon policy. Returns for this item are at the seller’s discretion.

A to Z Claims department says nope, sorry you can eat this $900+ ring. Provide the buyer with return info within 3 days.

So, is there anyway to escalate this above the A to Z folks to get someone that will actually enforce (or has read and understood) Amazon’s published policy on Handmade goods BEFORE being forced to provide return info. Once that’s done, we’re screwed.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tags: Policy
15 replies
15 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_cajUy7KY82A4x
In reply to: Seller_BZt24FNdvMoOx's post

Amazon can change the rules…But you can also appeal. It really boggles my mind that someone would sell or buy a diamond ring on Amazon.

I’d send the return info (that way at least you might get the ring back). Failure to do so might end up with no money and no ring. BUT also appeal the issue again…citing and linking Amazon policy and that buyer ordered a custom sized ring in size XXX and received a Custom sized ring in size XXX. Ending with this claim should be denied based on custom made item cannot be returned.

Should you get it back and be forced to refund…(and someone with better knowledge than me might answer this one!) …maybe file safeT claim on it??

user profile
Seller_2sSWhvyZsq56v

The mod said a week or 2 ago that you can’t even email A to Z team anymore. Good luck.

But is only “sizing” the product considered “custom”?
Perhaps it falls under the Jewelry return policy?

user profile
Seller_AN5jNJP2fLtXq

I doubt it. Amazon is just trying to nudge you to accept the return. I suspect you received the email that this poster discusses:

I discuss how to handle that email here:

If you respond in a similar fashion, adapted to your circumstances, most likely Amazon will close the claim. I strongly suggest you follow my advice here, and let us know what happens.

bunga bunga!

P.S. REMEMBER – if Amazon wanted to force you to refund the customer they could simply do so themselves, out of your pocket. That they did not should tell you something.

user profile
Seller_BZt24FNdvMoOx

@bunga_bunga

That’s more of less the response that we went with. To this point, they simply appear to be ignoring it. We sent that in yesterday evening and more than 12 hours later, no change. The provide the buyer with the return info they requested is still their position.

user profile
Seller_A2Yy4g27NXg5T

If the item is custom, you will win the A-Z claim by denying the return based on the Handmade policy. This is a handmade specific policy, so make sure the claims team understands this.

“Due to personal configuration, inscription, or design on these products, the third-party seller is not required to accept returns or exchanges unless the products are damaged or defective upon arrival.”

Link the policy and quote it in any responses to the claim and you should be fine.

user profile
Seller_A2Yy4g27NXg5T

Which policy did you link in your claim appeal? Make sure it is the one regarding no returns required on custom products - the handmade specific policy. Bunga Bunga has MUCH more experience here than me, but I have found simply citing amazon’s policy (in quotations) AND linking the policy typically works.

I would hold my ground here. You are in the right by denying this return and $900 is a large chunk of change.

Alternatively, you may be able to accept the return and withhold a restocking fee of 50%. This would almost certainly result in negative feedback, but would be allowed under Amazon’s handmade (and non-handmade) policies.

user profile
Seller_BZt24FNdvMoOx

Lo and Behold! It took patience and persistence, but they’ve closed the claim in our favor.

@rollthebonez while I appreciate the kamikaze approach, we had already sent a follow-up note/post in this morning stating that “We were still waiting on a reply to our follow-up post of the 20th.” Within 30 minutes, we get a notice that the Buyer’s Claim was denied and the A to Z case closed (and the money put back into our account).

@bunga_bunga: Yes, there’s definitely something to be said for staying one’s ground.

There are no more posts to display
Go to original post